Dig it! Ahh Craigslist, you never stop surprising me.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Well, this is a new one.

8 full weeks ago, I sold my Behringer PA system to a guy about my age for him to let his 16 year old son's metal band use. The system was in perfect condition and working order at that time. I set it up and ran through each channel and tested all of the features right there in front of the guy. We cranked the piss out of it, and it was perfectly crystal clear at all volumes. This was after I dragged the whole thing back down to the rehearsal studio 30 miles so that this clown could check it out because he didn't want to drive up here.

The system included the PMP 2000 Powered 14 channel mixer with built in FX etc, a brand new pair of BXL15 Passive 15" mains, HQ (Ultimate Support) speaker stands, and a pair each of 10' and 25' high end Speak-On cables that alone cost way over a hundred bucks. Over $1,000 invested new, and I gave it away at $500 to get it out of the way.

There was ONE MINOR thing we noticed while checking it out... the 1/4" input on channel 4 had a loose nut. That's it. I told him all he needed was the right size socket and 10 seconds of his time to tighten it. He said he wasn't very handy and asked if he had a problem "fixing it", could he bring it by the studio one night while I'm there to have me tighten it. Like a complete fucking moron, I told him I would, but to let me know in advance so I could bring my tools.

Never heard from the guy.

Until Friday.

Fucker started blowing up my phone with text and voice messages. I called him back and asked what was up. He told me that last week whole the kids were practicing, it just shut off. Before I could say a word, he asks me if the unit had some sort of heat protection circuit... very telling...

I told him "most" newer power amps do indeed have a heat protection circuit but I wasn't 100% certain about that one. Then I asked him how hot it got, and how it was placed in terms of ventilation and proximity to other heat making devices. He dodged it. I asked how hot the room was that it was in at the time, knowing full well that we have been consistently over 100 degrees every day for weeks now. He dodged it.

I asked if he checked the fuse, he said he had and it appeared fine.

Ok. So I asked what he thought I could do to "help him out". I told him I could recommend a good repair facility to check it out. He tells me it's already at one. I ask what that shop thought the problem was. "They don't know yet, but I don't trust them." He says. He then asks if he can bring it to me so I could open it up and check it out/fix it since, after all... I "said I would" when he bought it.

Fuck me.

I told him that I was not a repair guy, yes, I know a little bit about the guts of that stuff, but I'm no authority nor would I be comfortable going there. This of course pissed him off. He gets indignant about it and essentially calls me a crook. I told him that he should let the shop diagnose it and call me because I was curious what they would say. I told him I still wasn't going to touch it though. The only thing I might do would be to tighten that loose nut should they determine that to be the problem :)

Fucking guy continues to call and text, leave voice messages, then call from blocked numbers trying to be sneaky. I finally had to call him and tell him to fuck off, that I wasn't responsible two months later after a bunch of 16 year old kids had been plugging god knows what into it, driving it at unknown volume for unknown lengths, in what could be a very hot room with no ventilation... all questions I had asked and gotten no answer. I told him he bought used, entry level gear at a cheap price, and bought it "as is" and that any inclination I may have had to assist him went out the fucking window after about the 3rd call in less than an hour.

Oh boy.

My did he get colorful then. Gebus.

Anyway, I hung up and blocked his number. For all I know, the fucking loon is still trying.

Simply amazing. :)

I just went through this with a bike. I sold my beater junk bike for $40. The guy who bought it took it to a sleazy bike tech who tried to sell him a new $250 fork by claiming current one was "highly unsafe to ride". The guy believed the tech and started leaving me angry voice mails. Fortunately it's only $40 so I just gave the guy his money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGG
I've been amazingly patient with you. Are you going to fix the amp like you promised or not?

Reactions: OGG
Back