Weekend Wrapup

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
This week I only had one gig and that was the OC fair.

Our set:

https://www.facebook.com/mwein/videos/vb.578127424/10154413212812425/

My artery clogging meal - I went for the bacon wrapped chicken legs:

13770476_10154416057917425_3264547390221400230_n.jpg

The guys:

13781931_10154413106987425_191686088960325257_n.jpg

No pictures but the @El Borrachito family was there and we had a fried feast together.

Today Mrs Wein and I had to clear our garage out before studio construction (and our outside remodel) start on Tuesday. This is after moving our entire business into the garage less than a month ago. A majorite of my music equipment and tools were put in my truck and parked at my father-in-laws shop. The stuff that is actually valuable or necessary for me to work replaced our kitchen table for the next two weeks.

Last edited:
I'm on Vacation starting last Friday at noon.

But I'm almost broke so the weekend and the coming week are going to be very laid back. I fixed some grout in the shower for my landlord yesterday and cleaned the house. Got the acoustic out and played it some. I have not even been able to run since I have a bad sunburn on the top of my feet. That should be better by tomorrow. I at least want to get some hiking in this week if it is not too blasted hot.

Saturday- we did a gig as part of a Summer Concert Series in the city square of Mcdonough. It was really cool as people came in lawn chairs and mats and sat in the grass and we played 3 sets. My sons and their families came and my grand daughters are 7 and 5 and they saw me in an ENTIRELY different light lol

It was very much fun to not be in a smokey bar playing to drunks. We got alot of compliments on our setlist and performance and it was one of the better gigs I have played in a long while. It also paid almost twice what we normally get so that wasnt bad either!

my wife and grandkids Lily and Mary Jane
lisa Lily MJ.jpg

here is a short video of us, I hope the Facebook link works
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/gerald.ledford/videos/1140897542635958/&show_text=0&width=560
Sunday- went and visited my daughter in Atlanta and took her groceries and lunch. She just graduated college a couple of monmths ago and i'm very proud of her for making it on her on.

Last edited:
Not much for me. I'm stuck in Florida for a few weeks. The wife and kids headed back to VA Thursday, so I have been hanging with my brother and his psycho girlfriend.

I did go skate my buddies half pipe today. No injuries, but it is the first time I have ridden a half pipe in probably 12 years. In that time I started some meds for my heart that makes my blood pressure pretty low, so I can get dizzy or even black out if I stand up too fast. I was getting super dizzy riding it. I had to take long breaks between runs.

I'm on Vacation starting last Friday at noon.

But I'm almost broke so the weekend and the coming week are going to be very laid back. I fixed some grout in the shower for my landlord yesterday and cleaned the house. Got the acoustic out and played it some. I have not even been able to run since I have a bad sunburn on the top of my feet. That should be better by tomorrow. I at least want to get some hiking in this week if it is not too blasted hot.

Sunburned feet are the worst. That happened to me once, so the first place I always put sunblock is on my feet. Sometimes it's the only place I put it.

Looks like some cool gigs this weekend, guys!

Friday - Had appointments at the office and chilled in the evening.

Saturday - A couple of appointments in the morning, some grocery shopping in the afternoon, and a vist from by brother-in-law in the evening. We were going to watch Office Space, but the DVD player died'

Church in the morning; Carol lead the service and I played a song for it. Then we went and picked up a new DVD player. I worked on a new song, using a poem of Carol's for lyrics. I think I now have 10 songs for the new CD; I need to record two of them. (Actually, I have eleven. One more and I can get the disc ready for release after I record the last three songs and Sonik finishes the mixing.) I did a lot of reading; I'm reading a book about Jac Holzman and Elektra Records that is pretty good.

Last edited:
Got some work clothes tailored. Took the boy to an art class and then a haircut. Went to MOMA. Mostly tried to stay out of the heat.

Band practice Friday night. It was hot.

Saturday, burned off a mild hangover doing stuff around the house. Dropped by the office in the afternoon...It was hot.

Today...not a whole lot. Laundry, kicked around on the acoustic, took a nap. It's really hot...

yesterday i played maybe the best round of golf (9 holes) i've played in maybe 8 years.
shot a -2: 4 pars, 2 bogies, 2 birdies and an EAGLE!!! i was dancing on the greens.
today, got rained on and played pretty badly. oh well. the good days are what make ya keep going out and playing again.

I did a benefit gig Saturday filling in with a band that have become a group of pretty good friends as of late. Not quite as big a crowd as I thought would be there but still 150 or so people. It was a benefit to raise $ for a guy fighting cancer. Lots of local bike clubs were there to support as he is a biker himself. Great bunch of people all around....man can they party...damn!!!

Friday I finished the extended decking on my garden rebuild:

WP_20160722_005.jpg

there's a bit of play in the boards, I used thinner ones the tub deck and had the joists wider so I was kind of expecting it. But it'll hold, it looks great - I was going for a rustic look so a bit of bounce just adds authenticity :grin:

Saturday I got some bits and bobs for the rest of the garden. Then had the worst gig I've had in a long time. I'm probably making more of it but the first dance was a disaster, I ended up having to rely on my 2nd back uo playout! Bride and groom just laughed about it but I felt like I'd been punched in the gut.

There was plenty of dancing all night bit there was a tonne of dope being smoked along with drink (even the OLD as in grannies) were reeking of it :) so by 1am there was a weird vibe where everyone's still up dancing but there just wasn't the usual energy I get in the build up to the last tune.

The groom was very aloof - she'd kept him waiting for 40 minutes so apparently he'd been pissed off all day. And speaking to him at the end I couldn't get a read on him. Usually the bride and groom gush about the wedding. He was just like "yeah yeah it was an ok day I suppose wasn't it"

Ah well

Yesterday was the 1st AGM of the local British Legion branch myself and some others setup last year. I'm secretary and the Chair stood down in order to take on the role of President so I got to play chair for a few minutes, something I'll never actually get to do since I didn't serve.

Few beers after, dinner at my wedding venue with my fiance, bro, sis in law and , 2 friends. Both couples are pregnant so you can imagine what the chat was like.

I'm boycotting my local pub so after dinner we headed straight home, put the canopy over the tub as it was pissing diwn and my fiance and I gad a bottle of wine and listened to tunes from our holiday in the tub.

Satyrday: built a compost tumbler mousing a blue 50 gallon barrel and someven somber salvaged from my deck redo a few years ago.

Sunday: grilled a couple if meatloaves. See my "My Wife" thread.

Returned from a week in Pennsylvania and my internal clock is three hours off. Visited Philadelphia, New York, Bethlehem, Allentown, Nazareth. Had a great time and now I have to go back to work.

Friday - low key night with an out to eat dinner with my oldest and me

Saturday - My kids and me spent the morning at a friends coffee house and blabbed a bit. Came back and started to work on my pergola that's been a longer than expected project. Dropped my kid off at band practice and cooked a big dinner on the grill.

Sunday - went boating and swimming with the kids. The water got me thinking.... thinking real deep. Kids asked me why I was so "out there and serious" and I replied that I made a comment on MWGF about using Capelin as bait instead of eating them and Flamencology said anyone using bait should not be allowed to fish. I then cried a little. Came home and caressed my rubber worms and said to myself, "if he only new".

Thursday night practice with original band
Friday picked up another bass and later practice with cover band
Saturday cat in mailbox, take care of new found cat for the rest of the night
Sunday take cat to vets, take care of new cat and reassure our other pets we still love them.

Returned from a week in Pennsylvania and my internal clock is three hours off. Visited Philadelphia, New York, Bethlehem, Allentown, Nazareth. Had a great time and now I have to go back to work.

Bethlehem and Allentown is where my band use to play when I had it. Know the area well. I'm about 20 minutes from that area.

floor refinishing, sewer repair, agonizing paint color decisions, fried chicken. lather rinse repeat.

Back