Playing outdoors.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
The rig I used this week. My Deluxe Reverb, a Mojo Hand FX Rook and my McFeely 454.

In my living room:

On stage:

I think I'm too used to being the master of my own domain. Both clips were recorded with my iPhone. On All Star Trio gigs I'm always running through the PA because thats how the boss likes it. On my own gigs I just use my amp to power the room. I never have the guitar in the monitors and I use a Sennheiser e609 hung over the cabinet. Not very scientific but it seems to work. On stage yesterday I was a little freaked out because they had so much of my guitar in the monitors since the amp was not really where I could hear it and it seemed very shrill to me. I didn't want to mess with it too much since I figured that it should sound OK through the mains if I kept the settings where I knew they should sound good but the video from the show bums me out a bit. Some of this is because as much as I play I almost never play on stages with sound systems like this but did put me off a little bit while I was playing. Guess I need to hit the county fair circuit a little harder next year :tongue:

And to be totally fair, @El Borrachito who has done a ton of live sound said it was "the best mix he'd heard at a fair like this" so maybe I have my head up my ass.

it sounds good to me. maybe a little hot in the mix but the tone sounds great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it sounds good to me. maybe a little hot in the mix but the tone sounds great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. I guess my expectations of what it should sound like vs. what I heard on stage were not really very realistic. I'm never happy with my sound outdoors.

A while ago, I had the thought that maybe it makes more sense to rehearse in subpar conditions, intentionally giving yourself a bad monitor mix or not being able to hear your own voice etc. in rehearsal. That way when it happens live it doesn't throw you as much. Because live sound is always going to be a compromise, I wonder if it makes sense to have a rehearsal environment that prepares you for that a little bit

Your head is up your ass. It sounded good to me. I am listening on my phone though.

A while ago, I had the thought that maybe it makes more sense to rehearse in subpar conditions, intentionally giving yourself a bad monitor mix or not being able to hear your own voice etc. in rehearsal. That way when it happens live it doesn't throw you as much. Because live sound is always going to be a compromise, I wonder if it makes sense to have a rehearsal environment that prepares you for that a little bit

I think I'm just too used to what I'm used to, if that makes any sense. for the last decade or so I've only played gigs when we've owned or controlled the PA.
Your head is up your ass. It sounded good to me. I am listening on my phone though.

Well, the "head up my ass" part is true about any number of things. It just didn't sound how I expected.

The sound man I usually use has one of the Behringer X32 systems. It's all iPad controlled and each band member downloads an app which lets you control your own monitor mix. Obviously the FOH is out of your control but, for me being able to control my on stage mix makes all the difference. With a regular setup, trying to communicate to the sound man what you need in a mix is hit or miss at best.

The sound man I usually use has one of the Behringer X32 systems. It's all iPad controlled and each band member downloads an app which lets you control your own monitor mix. Obviously the FOH is out of your control but, for me being able to control my on stage mix makes all the difference. With a regular setup, trying to communicate to the sound man what you need in a mix is hit or miss at best.
We use the QSC Touchmix in one band but I never have instruments in my monitor mix...just vocals.

Back