SONGWRITERS: Any interest in a "lyric swap"? (Read thread for details...)

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I think we did this once a long time ago at HC but I'm not entirely sure. Anyways here is my idea.

We need to get a group of original songwriters - an even number would be best. I think ten would be an ideal number. Having the ability to record, even if it's just you strumming and singing, is kind of necessary for this, but I think most of us can meet that requirement even if it's a cameraphone video posted to YouTube.

Here's how it works.

Once everyone has signed up I will randomly pair people with one another. Then you will send the person you're paired with a set of lyrics you've written. It's best if there is already music you've written (i.e. not just a lyrical idea) because that makes it more fun at the reveal. But I suppose if you only have lyrics that's OK too.

Here's the twist - do NOT send the other person (or anyone else) the music that goes with your lyrics - send just the lyrics. You can expand on what the lyrics mean, etc if you want to but don't give any hints about the music you've written for it. In return you will get lyrics from your partner.

The next step is for you to write music to these lyrics, and record the new version of this song. We will have a reveal once they're all done. I think it's a cool idea because everyone will get to hear their lyrics with completely new music behind them, and we will have ten songs "co-written" by forumites.

Is there any interest in doing this? I'm thinking the reveal could be some time in September to give everyone time.

Yes please.

I think it'd be cool if we didn't know who was doing our song.

I took part in something like this at a different forum earlier this year. Lyricist posted lyrics then, other folks picked their favorite to do, and there was a reveal. It was fun. I think your idea is better because it means everybody's will get used.

Last edited:
Oooh, I like the mystery of not knowing who's song you're doing. I bet we can get someone who's not participating in the writing to draw the names and send the lyrics (because I want to participate and if I do it I'll know who everyone has).

I have some lyrics that I've never written music to that I would love to give, problem is I suck at trying to write music to lyrics.

I write riffs and rearrange/rewrite existing songs just fine. I just can't find a direction when faced with lyrics. This may be just what I need to give me a kick in the ass though.

So, I'm in.

Will folks be paired up to where they swap or will it be a pool of contributors?

I think I'm sitting on my lyric through our current album for the FOLLOWING album, so I've got no rush.

I have a song I wrote that I will never, ever record; it would be interesting to see what someone else would do with it. I still wouldn't record it, as it is quite out of character for me.

I have lyrics to contribute but I'm notoriously flakey when it comes to recording and submitting. I just lose track of time and get busy with work and kids.
I'm willing to try though if a camera phone recording is eligible.

Back