Ibanez

I don't think it matters much how it's pronounced as long as it can bring on the rawk. I think the first time I ever heard of them was waaaaay back in the day when Paul Stanley was playing his Iceman on stage.

Andy Timmons call it "EYE-ba-nez"; I'mma call it "Eye-ba-naz" :snooty:

sddefault.jpg

The old joke from the '80s is that it's pronounced "eye-bin-had," as in "I've been had, and should have spent my money on a quality American product."

(I completely disagree though, Artcores are the shit)

FIFY. Like the baseball player. Raul played 11 seasons with the Mariners, and played with a few other teams. If I knew how to make the option key work better, I would put the proper accent marks over the appropriate letters.

Ah, yes. I still spoke incorrectly. I did not mean "accent". I meant the "virgulilla" over the "n". But I do agree with that pronunciation.

Is Ibanez a Spanish name? Then it's probably ee-BAH-nez.

Is Takamine a Japanese name? Then it's probably tah-kah-MEE-neh.

I studied both languages for many years and still speak some of both, but I could still be wrong on all accounts.

This is like the discussion about the strong off shore winds in California. They are currently known by just about everyone, including the press, as Santa Ana winds. When I was grow up, they were known as "Santana" winds, and gradually the winds became known as Santa Ana winds. Neither name is actually correct, as the winds were known as "devil winds" - hot, dry winds. In Spanish, devil winds would have been known as Satana (satanya) winds with a tilde over the n. As it is, the winds will be the Santa Ana winds due to popular usage. I imagine that the pronunciation of Ibanez will suffer the same fate.

This is like the discussion about the strong off shore winds in California. They are currently known by just about everyone, including the press, as Santa Ana winds. When I was grow up, they were known as "Santana" winds, and gradually the winds became known as Santa Ana winds. Neither name is actually correct, as the winds were known as "devil winds" - hot, dry winds. In Spanish, devil winds would have been known as Satana (satanya) winds with a tilde over the n. As it is, the winds will be the Santa Ana winds due to popular usage. I imagine that the pronunciation of Ibanez will suffer the same fate.
:) And I learned today via research that the correct term for the symbol over the "n" is not "tilde" but "virgulilla". But I agree with the rest of what you say.

Back