Advice for Cell Phone Luddite

surfsteve

Pendejo
OK, I have an iPhone 5s that's 3 yrs old. Works fine. I hardly use it compared to the rest of the world, but like having it when i need it.

Lowest I can negotiate with AT&T is ~ 65.00/month.

A co-worker told me about Ting which you pay only what you use and said he didn't have a problem with service.

If I wanted to upgrade, could I just pay upfront for an unlocked iPhone and get a cheaper service.

I haven't really dug into this, appreciate any help.

Also if I were to get an iPad would I be able to use the same service at the same cost?

how about ditching your land line and just sticking with a tried and true like At&T. I'm with Verizen and my monthly bill is 67 a month, always, never changes. With that I have unlimited calling ...one number only to deal with....few if any solicitation calls....a phone I can take anywhere. I figure the money I'd spend on a land line would be at least 20-25 per month so that helps me justify having a cell. I honestly don't know why anyone really even has a land line these days. i haven't had one since 2008 or 2007.

My wife insists on the land line. I don't know why. It's bundled with cable and DSL internet.

I checked a few google searches, and I guess AT&T's deal is not too bad after comparing. It's surprising how many "alternative providers" are actually run by the big 3.

how about ditching your land line and just sticking with a tried and true like At&T. I'm with Verizen and my monthly bill is 67 a month, always, never changes. With that I have unlimited calling ...one number only to deal with....few if any solicitation calls....a phone I can take anywhere. I figure the money I'd spend on a land line would be at least 20-25 per month so that helps me justify having a cell. I honestly don't know why anyone really even has a land line these days. i haven't had one since 2008 or 2007.
If the landlines uses a copper pair, you still have dial tone when the power is out. Batteties inside phone remote buildings can last 2 days before needing a generator.

Cell phones depend on power at the towers to provide signal. Then there is the issue of 911 knowing your location.

If the landlines uses a copper pair, you still have dial tone when the power is out. Cell phones depend on power at the towers to provide signal.

This has been pointed out to me. Probably useful in a blackout zombie apocalypse scenario.

This has been pointed out to me. Probably useful in a blackout zombie apocalypse scenario.

yeah if cell phone towers are out then I've probably got more to worry about then calling 911....I'm grabbing my shotgun, my 30-30, my dawg and my camping gear and we're heading for the hills.

My wife and I have 2 iphones on sprint....we share 1500 minutes but everything else is unlimited for $160/month.
We ditched the landline along with cable tv service....we got a mail offer from Verizon internet service...1st year $29.99/mo. 2nd year 39.99/mo and after that the price is whatever their regular price is. I think it's about $69/mo.
I bought a couple Roku boxes and we exclusively stream tv.
BEST decision we made. We are saving over $100/mo now. Even when the price goes to regular price it stillness going to be a substantial savings.

My wife and I have 2 iphones on sprint....we share 1500 minutes but everything else is unlimited for $160/month.
We ditched the landline along with cable tv service....we got a mail offer from Verizon internet service...1st year $29.99/mo. 2nd year 39.99/mo and after that the price is whatever their regular price is. I think it's about $69/mo.
I bought a couple Roku boxes and we exclusively stream tv.
BEST decision we made. We are saving over $100/mo now. Even when the price goes to regular price it stillness going to be a substantial savings.

Yeah I have an old Roku box (like a 2nd gen or something) and an Apple TV streamer and I dumped Cable about a year and a half ago. The only thing i miss is English premier league football(soccer) otherwise streaming is so much better. Cable sucks and the prices are insane.

*edit* if you have regular internet (not verizen) you don't need their cable just subscribe to Netflix and Hulu, for 16 dollars total you get almost everything you'd ever want. If yer a sports fan you can subscribe to whatever sport you like MLB package , etc and then if you're an Amazon prime member then there is a lot of free prime video to watch as well.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "regular internet(not Verizon)"
I have the Verizon Internet service but not cable tv service thru them(or anybody else) and we also have Hulu and Netflix and 2 others....if I'm subscribed to those services I would still need an isp (Verizon etc)and box(Roku, Apple etc) to view....am I misunderstanding you?

Get a Jitterbug!

If you work for a large-ish company, check to see if they've arranged a discount with AT&T. I get 15% off my wife's cell bill. Not bad.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "regular internet(not Verizon)"
I have the Verizon Internet service but not cable tv service thru them(or anybody else) and we also have Hulu and Netflix and 2 others....if I'm subscribed to those services I would still need an isp (Verizon etc)and box(Roku, Apple etc) to view....am I misunderstanding you?
yeah I guess what i mean is that if you have an isp with a regular modem for wi fo then just stream your services (hulu, etc). I think I misread your post originally.

Back