Song Suggestions for Learning Alternate Chord Voicings?

Deep Eddy

Argle Bargle or Foofaraw?
The thread about books on alternate chord voicings got me thinking about songs that contain alternate voicings. For me, the best way to really learn chords is to play them as part of a song (rather than read them in a book and try to practice outside of a particular song).

Any suggestions of songs, particularly in the rock or alt-country genres, that you think are good for learning new chord voicings? I'm kinda bored with the usual open position and standard barre chord forms.

You don't need a particular song to do it....

One way is to start with a simple song and work on different inversions of each chord. Sometimes I look up different voicing for the same chord in different places on the neck... then I'll play the root notes on my looper, and then play with those different voicings up and down the neck. When I find my favorites, they become a great way to stack guitar parts in a loop without playing the same chord over and over.

If you use a site like Ultimate-Guitar for the chords, don't always resort to the first position chords. highlight the check box to "Display Chords" and then when you click on a chord you get a "Variations" button. Particularly with m7th chords, I like to play them up and down the neck where I can easily encorporate some bars, pinky, or wrapped thumb.

Somewhere over the Rainbow in C. Use chord extensions such as 13ths and etc. Can be played slowly and sounds awesome on acoustic or clean jazz-ish sounding electric.

(I learned it in C a long time ago so I could accompany my Dad on his sax. He played it in C. )

One way is to start with a simple song and work on different inversions of each chord. Sometimes I look up different voicing for the same chord in different places on the neck... then I'll play the root notes on my looper, and then play with those different voicings up and down the neck. When I find my favorites, they become a great way to stack guitar parts in a loop without playing the same chord over and over.

If you use a site like Ultimate-Guitar for the chords, don't always resort to the first position chords. highlight the check box to "Display Chords" and then when you click on a chord you get a "Variations" button. Particularly with m7th chords, I like to play them up and down the neck where I can easily encorporate some bars, pinky, or wrapped thumb.
Good suggestion. Thx.

Alcest uses a bunch of 'different' chord voicing, but I'm not sure there is much out there in the way of showing you what they use.

I was going to suggest the same thing....work out inversions for a given chord. Maybe start with 1-2 inversions for a given progression and move forward from there. I'd bet you get a lot more mileage working them out yourself than learning it from a song.

I should take my own advise....

Back