Lesson Prices

I've been (under) charging $28 per half and $50 per hour if the students pay for all of the lessons up front at the beginning of the month and $33/$60 if they pay alacarte. That is going up a small amount next month though. People charge anywhere from $30-$75 an hour around here depending on what they are teaching and I know. Few voice teachers who are at least $100 an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Mark, I bill monthly. My current rates are $90/mo. for 30 min. lessons, $142/mo. for 45 min. and $182/mo. for 60 min. I raised my rates this year for the first time since 2012.

Like Mark, I bill monthly. My current rates are $90/mo. for 30 min. lessons, $142/mo. for 45 min. and $182/mo. for 60 min. I raised my rates this year for the first time since 2012.
I've been hesitant to raise my prices because we have had so many families that will have 2-3 kids in lessons or a kid in lessons and a performance class or an adult who will take hour lessons and a class but the reality is that most guys with my experience are charging more in this area.

I’m astounded that you guys can charge so little and still afford to eat.

Locally I've found $20 a week per half hour but I don't know what the teacher is like as I've not enrolled.
Mark is worth more than he charges in my limited experience. I just wish I had the schedule flexibility to start again. Damn work!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I’m astounded that you guys can charge so little and still afford to eat.
Tell me about it. Sadly music instruction is not as prized as a private batting teacher or a tennis coach, both of whom can command $150 an hour from the same customers who balk at $60 an hour from me (or just about any other music instructor with a college education and a ton of practical experience).

I think part of the problem, at least from my own view, is the perception of the value. People don't realize what they're actually getting. Most don't even stick with an instrument long enough to get even mildly competent. "It's too hard", "it's taking too long to be awesome"
It's a Veruca Salt, I want it now, attitude. They just don't see the pay off at the end or realize that there really isn't ever an "end" to learning an instrument.
Also, some people are just happy enough hacking their way through a YouTube rendition of a song they heard on the radio.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

What teaching materials do you guys use (Berklee, Mel Bay, etc.), and does what you use depend on the age/experience of the student?

What teaching materials do you guys use (Berklee, Mel Bay, etc.), and does what you use depend on the age/experience of the student?
Most students use my "Foundations for Guitar" book unless they are 5-9 years old and then we use the Alfred's Kids method. Most of my students (regardless of preferred genre) also work through Ross Bolton's Funk Guitar book to improve their 16th note mechanics and hand control. Ask @smurfco about the value of that book.

I use Mark's book with beginners. Most of my serious students have a copy of the Berklee method. I also have a lot of pieces I wrote for students and I'm working on compiling them into my own book too.

Tell me about it. Sadly music instruction is not as prized as a private batting teacher or a tennis coach, both of whom can command $150 an hour from the same customers who balk at $60 an hour from me (or just about any other music instructor with a college education and a ton of practical experience).

You should see the amount of batting, tennis or any other sport coaches here. I think most parents see a possible college scholarship with the sport coaches. So the $150 per hour for a 4 or 5 years saves them thousands of dollars in college. At least that is what my friends who send their kids to that stuff say. The thing that sucks is I am 45 and still play guitar. I haven't really played a sport since high school. I would have gotten so much more out of guitar lessons than I would have from the sport camps I went to as a kid.

Back