It doesn't get any more 70's than...

Or if we're Talkin winmins
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I graduated high school in '78. The moon landings stopped, we got out of 'Nam, we were treated to wall to wall coverage of Watergate, and the Freedom Train made it's way across the country. Musically, I remember that many popular 60's artists died in the now traditional manner. Some like Simon & Garfunkel went away for a long time.....BOC, Boston & Rush were trying to stomp the shit out of disco.... didn't happen. And unless you were asleep, most of the girls were wearing earth shoes and jeans with some kind of flare on 'em. The Walton's, Farrah, Janet Wood, Archie Bunker and the Cunninghams were like next door neighbors. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I grew up in the 70s. A young Tommy Dorsey was climbing the charts. Raccoon coats were all the rage. Our boys abroad were putting down the Boxer Rebellion while the gals on the homefront were glamming it up for days at the mall. At the beginning of the decade I was a humble cobbler. By the end, I was a drone pilot.

Yes sir, those sure were simpler times.

I graduated high school in '78. The moon landings stopped, we got out of 'Nam, we were treated to wall to wall coverage of Watergate, and the Freedom Train made it's way across the country. Musically, I remember that many popular 60's artists died in the now traditional manner. Some like Simon & Garfunkel went away for a long time.....BOC, Boston & Rush were trying to stomp the shit out of disco.... didn't happen. And unless you were asleep, most of the girls were wearing earth shoes and jeans with some kind of flare on 'em. The Walton's, Farrah, Janet Wood, Archie Bunker and the Cunninghams were like next door neighbors. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
I was a few years behind you. I entered high school the school year after you graduated, or 9th grade anyway. But very similar stuff.

I turned 10 in 1979 also, but in many ways, the 70s shaped me. I was heavily into music as far back as I can remember. I was also surrounded by older kids with a broad taste of musical likes which gave me a huge foundation to build upon.

For me, the 70s were all about Star Wars, Disco, CHiPs, That's Incredible, The Fall Guy, etc...

I turned 10 in 1979 also, but in many ways, the 70s shaped me. I was heavily into music as far back as I can remember. I was also surrounded by older kids with a broad taste of musical likes which gave me a huge foundation to build upon.

For me, the 70s were all about Star Wars, Disco, CHiPs, That's Incredible, The Fall Guy, etc...

That's Incredible. Loved that show.

Reactions: OGG

Six Million Dollar Man, the Bionic Woman, SNL, all the 60's reruns on the local affiliate, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, the little electronic football game, Simon, the Dogtown articles, slurpees and skateboards at 7-11, etc. I was a few years ahead of you, being 16 in 1979, and a freshman in high school. But it was a fun time to grow up in many ways, though not all cherries and rainbows shooting out of unicorn butts. Gas embargo/shortage/lines, hostage crisis, Olympics screwed up by terrorism, divorce becoming more common (could be good or bad depending on pov), etc.

And, . . .

Do the Hustle!

(I wonder why that line danced never survived at wedding receptions?)

I am intentionally ignoring Saturday night fever as all the girls I knew were totally into it and the BeeGees. I held out and never saw the thing until years later. Still not sure I have seen it all the way through.

The first time I saw Dazed and Confused I felt like someone had hacked into my life's memories, it was that accurate. The clothes, cars, hair, music etc. were exactly the way things were for me in the late '70s. And I was the little guy running from Ben Afleck.
big_thumb_460cc8ff25bc9d719fa8bc423d9c13ec.jpg

this is the uber-episode of Celebrity Bowling

Brady-Bowling-1.jpg

in the early 70's Jan made my pants uncomfortably tight.

Reactions: Tig

Crystal Gayle was absolutely gorgeous, and was the one Country singer that made me think Country might be ok. She had less twang in her voice than most Country stars of the time.

Honestly, it would take me some time to connect back to the experiences of the 70's. I know I'm the sum total of all the events of my life, and I don't really spend much time reminiscing. I tend to focus on the present more, but occasionally a nice memory with intrude. That clip of Crystal Gayle sure brings back one nice memory.

Crystal Gayle was absolutely gorgeous, and was the one Country singer that made me think Country might be ok. She had less twang in her voice than most Country stars of the time.

Honestly, it would take me some time to connect back to the experiences of the 70's. I know I'm the sum total of all the events of my life, and I don't really spend much time reminiscing. I tend to focus on the present more, but occasionally a nice memory with intrude. That clip of Crystal Gayle sure brings back one nice memory.
I was like 8 years old back then, but that didn't matter, she became one of my first celebrity crushes just the same.

Back