The same original, eight years apart

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
So I wrote this song Dumb Luck back in 2008, and I recorded it with a friend of mine on drums, The Eristic from HCGJ doing some lead guitar work, and me doing everything else. Here is that version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rbwbpxekmhuhap/03 - Dumb Luck.mp3?dl=0

The song was forgotten about and aside from getting played live by my band in Atlanta a couple of times it disappeared. When I started my new band here in CT we dusted off some of my old unused originals (to have something to play) and this one actually changed quite a bit in mood and arrangement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa3v43qnd88b4jc/Dumb Luck_v8.mp3?dl=0

Opinions / feedback on both versions appreciated, as well as similar stories - ever take an oldie of yours and give it a new coat of paint?

That's a really cool song. Each version seems to reflect the time it was recorded but the song suits either arrangement. Both versions make me think of the Wallflowers; I hope that isn't insulting to you. I think I like the second version best, but I wouldn't swear to it. :hippie:

To be honest, I like the first version better. I like the accordion. I like the constant beat throughout. Also the timing on the drums gets a little hinky in the stop section in the new one.
Solid tune either way, though.

To be honest, I like the first version better. I like the accordion. I like the constant beat throughout. Also the timing on the drums gets a little hinky in the stop section in the new one.
Solid tune either way, though.

Do you mean the section after the solo? Or the stops at the beginning?

Thanks!

I think both versions have some great qualities...maybe make a 3rd version combining the best of both...lol
I definitely like the feel of the accordion in V1...I definitely hear the Wallflowers influence as someone stated. I also like the overdriven guitar solo better... Maybe more of a JTM 45 tone and less fender-ish?
I like that the acoustic guitar is more present in V2 and I like the little melody lines the 2 acoustic gtr plays

Yeah I can hear that it gets a little loose there, we will see about tightening that up. Thanks!
Went back and listened up against the click. The variation is there but it's tiny and no one else in the band but me can hear it. Mike you have excellent ears (though we all already knew that).

I enjoyed both versions.

I liked the accordion in the first. But I listened to it first. I wonder if my preference would be different had I listened to the new version first...
I think I'll give both a few more listens before I pick a favourite. Then again, I can just like both. I'm easy that way.

Back