Anybody played Soma?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
If you've read my other threads you know I'm a newbie fan of stealth horror games, (Alien Isolation, the Dead Space series..,.)

Interested in Soma now... According to one website my laptop can't handle Soma but I've read several posts that said the requirements for Soma really aren't that stringent.

Might just get it and try.

Anybody played it?

Well I got it and I'm probably a third of the way through it. It's good, different (although I've never played a Visceral game before, these are the folks who created Amnesia). One thing I will say is that you have to be careful about your graphics settings if you're playing on a lower end computer. I had everything on high and it was fine through most of it but there's one part where it lags enough due to my laptop's slight inadequacy that I pretty much died every time in a certain area. Saw online videos and people would die a few times but made it through. I lowered my settings and made it through just fine. Almost rage quit the game at that point!

It's pretty creepy, great environment. Not nearly as tense or scary as Alien Isolation yet but it's in the same vein.

Finished it yesterday, good game, not nearly as tense or scary as Alien Isolation, more scary than most of the Dead Space series, but this one makes you think. Has a good story and some really cool plot twists. Not a long game, takes me forever to finish a game and I finished it in about a third of the time it took me to finish AI.

So, what's next? Any suggestions? There's one that's not out yet should be out this year called Routine. Looks like AI on the moon... hope it's good.

No clue about a game called Soma, but we have a club named Soma here in San Diego and I've played there a gazillion times over the last 30 years.

It's moved locations a few times, but it's still the benchmark venue for legitimizing your local band status. You're nobody until you play Soma.

Yes, just like the one in San Francisco, this Club SOMA was named such because of its location South Of Market Street. Back in the 80s, it was on 5th and Union in downtown where Petco Park now stands and where the "Gaslamp" district has become a world class downtown party hub with endless great eateries and clubs. Thousands upon thousands flock to it nearly every night. On a Sumner weekend, fuhgeddaboutit! The place is off the rails.

When my band first played there in 86, it was the absolute LAST part of town you wanted to be in after dark. Nothing but Crack dens and Hobo Proctologists murdering hookers. It was scary as fuck.

Good times.

No clue about a game called Soma, but we have a club named Soma here in San Diego and I've played there a gazillion times over the last 30 years.

It's moved locations a few times, but it's still the benchmark venue for legitimizing your local band status. You're nobody until you play Soma.

Yes, just like the one in San Francisco, this Club SOMA was named such because of its location South Of Market Street. Back in the 80s, it was on 5th and Union in downtown where Petco Park now stands and where the "Gaslamp" district has become a world class downtown party hub with endless great eateries and clubs. Thousands upon thousands flock to it nearly every night. On a Sumner weekend, fuhgeddaboutit! The place is off the rails.

When my band first played there in 86, it was the absolute LAST part of town you wanted to be in after dark. Nothing but Crack dens and Hobo Proctologists murdering hookers. It was scary as fuck.

Good times.

I'm actually in San Diego... been here for years but didn't know about Soma... thwap0

We usually play in South Bay since that's where our bassist gets all our gigs... as I live in Carmel Mountain that makes for a long haul. :(

I'm actually in San Diego... been here for years but didn't know about Soma... thwap0

We usually play in South Bay since that's where our bassist gets all our gigs... as I live in Carmel Mountain that makes for a long haul. :(
Dude! You live in Carmel Mountain?

You're like ten minutes from me. How have we never had a forumite hang?

Dude! You live in Carmel Mountain?

You're like ten minutes from me. How have we never had a forumite hang?

No idea! Were you on HCGF when we did Brikstock... when Brikus didn't show up? :-\ Met a bunch of forumites up in Burbank, caravaned up with another San Diego forumite, his name was Bryan but I don't remember his handle...

We gotta grab a beer one of these days. :cool:

Reactions: OGG
I must have missed that one. I took Phil and micwalt up to see Mark play in Long Beach and Modern Saint was there...

The Brikstock thing was quite a while ago thinking back... I don't know if Mark was on the forum then. Dave Duncan (host whose handle I don't remember... WineRed something...) had it at his house, Jimmy James was there as well as Stringman and about a dozen others. Pretty cool.

Reactions: OGG
The Brikstock thing was quite a while ago thinking back... I don't know if Mark was on the forum then. Dave Duncan (host whose handle I don't remember... WineRed something...) had it at his house, Jimmy James was there as well as Stringman and about a dozen others. Pretty cool.
Don't forget about me. Hell, we work at the same company now.

Don't forget about me. Hell, we work at the same company now.

Hey Mark how goes it?! Did you go to Brikstock? Don't remember that... I do remember you showing me the delay settings for Run Like Hell which I immediately got the band to play. :cool:

So, what's next? Any suggestions? There's one that's not out yet should be out this year called Routine. Looks like AI on the moon... hope it's good.
Probably not really the sort of thing you're looking for, but kinda reminiscent of the general mood/atmosphere in Soma is The Swapper. it's more of a puzzle game than survival horror, or anything like that, but also a sort of "makes you think" kind of game.

Also Amnesia, if you wanna go back a bit..

Hey Mark how goes it?! Did you go to Brikstock? Don't remember that... I do remember you showing me the delay settings for Run Like Hell which I immediately got the band to play. :cool:
I didn't make Brikstock, but I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about another local forumite that you have met. My wife and I did come and see you play a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.

I just recently relocated from Vista to Mira Mesa, so I am much closer to work and everything else in San Diego, but there are a few things I miss about living in North County.

I didn't make Brikstock, but I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about another local forumite that you have met. My wife and I did come and see you play a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.

I just recently relocated from Vista to Mira Mesa, so I am much closer to work and everything else in San Diego, but there are a few things I miss about living in North County.

Oh I haven't forgotten... you're still on my email list for gigs! I remember you came out to an American Legion gig... was your wife there too or did you guys come to another one?

Back