LAX

I've flown to/from pretty much all of the airports mentioned, but IMO, none comes close to Dulles in terms of inconvenience, shit-holiness and overall decrepitude. I mean, it's like a $45 cab ride from DC just to GET there, and then you've got to get into one of those insanely crowded sardine can-like buses-on-stilts to get between concourses. It's like the 1963 World's Fair come horribly true...
I'm guessing you haven't been to Dulles in a while. They've installed an underground rail system that goes from the main to remote terminals. They still have the buses for the far out ones. I kinda liked riding those funky buses around the flight line and dodging the taxiing jets, but they were a bit inconvenient.

Also, Metro is extending the Silver Line out to Dulles, so soon you'll be able to ride it into DC.

I'm guessing you haven't been to Dulles in a while. They've installed an underground rail system that goes from the main to remote terminals. They still have the buses for the far out ones. I kinda liked riding those funky buses around the flight line and dodging the taxiing jets, but they were a bit inconvenient.

Also, Metro is extending the Silver Line out to Dulles, so soon you'll be able to ride it into DC.

Flew in and out of Dulles a lot in the 90s, but haven't been there since.

I've flown to/from pretty much all of the airports mentioned, but IMO, none comes close to Dulles in terms of inconvenience, shit-holiness and overall decrepitude. I mean, it's like a $45 cab ride from DC just to GET there, and then you've got to get into one of those insanely crowded sardine can-like buses-on-stilts to get between concourses. It's like the 1963 World's Fair come horribly true...
Probably used 15 or 20 different airports, this man speaks the truth. Dulles is shit.

BWI is the only way to go when flying into or out of the DC area.

It's easy, nice, and generally far less of a clusterfuck.

BWI is the only way to go when flying into or out of the DC area.

It's easy, nice, and generally far less of a clusterfuck.

Not for me, I can see the air traffic control tower for Dulles from the end of my street. BWI is the worst in my situation. Once the Silver Line is done, Dulles will be the best for just about anyone coming to DC although flying into National is pretty cool flying in right over the capital.

The approach into DCA is very cool. Cruise down the Potomac with a view of the mall and monuments, then a hard right turn to VA and down on the runway. My problem with DCA is getting in and out of there.

Back