Airplane!’s Creators Reveal the Origins of “Don’t Call Me Shirley”

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._don_t_call_me_shirley_origins_explained.html

I loved this movie when I was a kid. My older brother took me to see it when I was about 10 years old and it was a cherished memory for a long time from a part of my life that was pretty difficult all the way around. And the jokes still make me laugh 35 years later.

n578127424_9793.jpg

I always hoped it was as fun to make as it was to watch - they looked like they were having a great time making it.

Rumack: You'd better tell the Captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.

Elaine Dickinson: A hospital? What is it?

Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

More movies need Kareem.
Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Roger Murdock: I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

Joey: You are Kareem! I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.

Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now, Joey. Right, Clarence?

Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone. Let him stay here.

Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is...

[showing his nametag]

Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.

[Kareem gets angry]

Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

David Zucker: It was a radical concept. We were doing a comedy without comedians.

That is the beauty of that movie. The deadpan delivery of every line (except "auntie em, it's a twister" and "leroy's getting laaaaarger..." :grin: )

A perpetual classic! Seeing it in the theater, my brother and I never laughed harder. Our guts were sore as we later walked up the aisle.

pendsw8_loisinor.jpg

airplane-zero-hour.jpg

Back