Anybody tried one of these?

rhino

Kick Henry Jackassowski
yhst-39468457877648_2266_85605716

This is the Roger McGuinn Signature model. Sympathetic string on the G. I played one this weekend, not exactly this model, but one with a kit that accomplishes the same goal. I'm thinking about putting one on one of my guitars.

AddString.jpg

You can get that 12 string shimmer when you want it, but can lay back when it isn't called for. It was pretty neat.

Never seen that. Very cool. Can you move it string to string?

I suppose you could put it in a different position, but once it's mounted you'll probably want to keep it there because you do need to add a slot in the nut.

I would think a sympathetic D would be more useful but that might really stress the nut there.

Interestingly (to me at least) John Butler goes the other way...he plays an 11-string because he doesn't like the octave G-string:

jbt-wm-2.jpg

I was wondering if something like this might compromise structural integrity, but I guess the octave G-string would add the least amount of pressure to the top and bracing.

I was thinking that the tension from the added piece to the top of the headstock to an added piece on the bridge might be a bit much, but, hell I'm not no expert...
I do look and play just like him in case you were wondering..

What are the sound hole things? And does the bridge thing have to be red?

From reading up on them, I think the sound hole things are a way mute the octave string, but I did not try that with the one I played. The bridge thing that I saw was black.

Back