Catalinbread Formula No. 5 vs. 5F6

Looking at a Catalinbread Formula No. 5 (made to model a 5E3 circuit) or the 5F6, made to model the older earlier 50's tweeds.

Here is a video comparing them, along with a couple others. I tend to like the Formula No. 5 in this video, though I also like that SFT.

Recall that I also have a Rat Clone, the BYOC based Rabid Rodent. But I think it tends to get more of a late '70s/80's rock tone rather than this type of tone.

Thoughts?

And this one focusing more on the Formula No. 5 and using the guitar volume knob to control it.

And this one with the full Neil Young thing going on. With the Formula No. 5

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

D-Amp-125.JPG

Well, I should probably just wait and see if the Concert sells first. But, was going to sell the Guv'nor, a couple old Behringer pedals I don't use, (probably get $5 each). And an old Korg multi-effects pedal. Not expecting much, and not expecting to cover the cost of the new stuff, just to get rid of some old stuff that is just hanging around. Then buy the attenuator and Catalinbread. Might make sense to buy the attenuator first and then see what to sell.

That looks like a good deal. I bought this, but I think I would have ponied up the little extra for that Webber.

https://reverb.com/item/805213-tubular-mods-juice-box-25-8e-tube-amp-attenuator
Heck, if that works for you, I would get it. I like the price, and the small real estate. If there is a real world advantage for the Weber, then I will get that I guess. But only if it has a real world advantage. I know nothing of these devices so am open to anyone's knowledge.

Heck, if that works for you, I would get it. I like the price, and the small real estate. If there is a real world advantage for the Weber, then I will get that I guess. But only if it has a real world advantage. I know nothing of these devices so am open to anyone's knowledge.

The Weber lets you choose from 8, 16 or 4 ohms, where the one I have is built for just one. So you could use the Weber with different amps where mine only works with amps that run at 8 ohms . It also has a bypass, so you could just switch it off. Mine you have to unhook it to get it out of the path. I also like the treble boost on the Weber.

Back