Amp Plans For 2016 - What's Yours?

I think I want some kind of low wattage amp. I never play out of home any more and it's not looking like that will change any time soon so a 50w valve laney seems quite pointless apart from the odd day I get to crank it.

Got my eye on either the Marshall SL5, DSL5C or maybe a Laney Cub 5 or LH5. I've been playing the Laney GH for like 10 years now though so I kinda fancy a different brand. I'd love the slash but it seems so expensive compared to the dsl which is a great price and has more features. The 10" speaker is a concern but I do have a 2x12 I could plug into..

Any oher suggestions? I go for a med - high gain marshall sound usually. I borrowed a mates DSL50 once and loved it so the DSL seems quite promising.

I think I want some kind of low wattage amp. I never play out of home any more and it's not looking like that will change any time soon so a 50w valve laney seems quite pointless apart from the odd day I get to crank it.

Got my eye on either the Marshall SL5, DSL5C or maybe a Laney Cub 5 or LH5. I've been playing the Laney GH for like 10 years now though so I kinda fancy a different brand. I'd love the slash but it seems so expensive compared to the dsl which is a great price and has more features. The 10" speaker is a concern but I do have a 2x12 I could plug into..

Any oher suggestions? I go for a med - high gain marshall sound usually. I borrowed a mates DSL50 once and loved it so the DSL seems quite promising.

I gigged with a dsl 50 for a while. I loved the overdriven tone from it. I'm not sure if the smaller one sounds the same.

I've actually got my eyes on an Orange Micro Dark Terror head with the intention of swapping the higher-gain 12ax7 preamp tune(s) with something lower gain, like a 12AY7 or 12AU7. Heard a youtube video of a guy who'd done it on the regular Micro Terror and it smoothed out the sound a lot.

I can confirm. Swapped the stock jj w reissue Mullard 12AU7. Much smoother, no noticable volume loss.

Have to say I'm very tempted by the Micro Dark. Every clip I've heard of it sounds better than the low wattage marshalls. And for £129 seems like a no brainer, I think I'm gonna take a punt on one soon. I have a few valves lying around to try in it as well, a 5751 should lower the gain and smooth it out similarly to that 12au7?

Where you located? I have a DSL50 head I'm looking to move cheap. If you're interested of course.

I plan to get rid of my Mesa-Boogie Studio 22. Got it for a song a few years ago, never really found much use for it.

Down to my Holland and the ADA rocket as far as combos go. Also have a VTM 60 that I need to re-cap. I almost feel like I was an amp hoarder at one point. Lol

Back