Does anybody still do circuit training?

2manband

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Besides me, that is?

I run a lot and lift weights a little, but the running isn't really possible due to darkness and snow, so I'm settling into my winter circuit routine.

I work out with a friend - set up 5 or 6 strength training exercises and an exercise bike. One person bikes while the other rotates through the weight stations. Then you switch. You keep it moving so that you get a good cardio workout, and you sequence the strength training exercises so that you alternate muscle groups. Each person does 3 passes through the weight circuit and 3 stints on the bike. Takes about 30 minutes.

What an ass kicker. I would rather run for an hour. It's gotta be one of the best workouts possible given the time.

Haven't done that for a while now that I am a geezer. I have gone to more weights and some road cycling. I am back to adding muscle mass, which is opposite of what I think you are looking for. Great for keeping lean, which I will need after adding pounds..

Circuit training is doing a circuit of light lifting through a series of machines to work the entire body. It's a relic from the nautilus training era. These days its rare to spot anyone under 65 doing it. What you're doing is a boot-camp style workout with antagonist lifts using a bike instead of a treadmill.

Circuit training is doing a circuit of light lifting through a series of machines to work the entire body. It's a relic from the nautilus training era. These days its rare to spot anyone under 65 doing it. What you're doing is a boot-camp style workout with antagonist lifts using a bike instead of a treadmill.
And actually I have cut it down to the classic movements..Bench press, Assisted Squat ( standing incline b/c bad knee), Thigh lifts, shoulder presses ( Smith), biceps curls and tri push downs. Hardgainer advocated " working the legs hard will make your body grow like a weed". There is a lot of truth to that as long as you don't have steaks and beer every night. Which I do.

004-1000x708.jpg

Amazingly, my gym has one of these ( trap bars , not the kid ) Haven't seen one of those since my Golds Gym Days...

Haven't done that for a while now that I am a geezer. I have gone to more weights and some road cycling. I am back to adding muscle mass, which is opposite of what I think you are looking for. Great for keeping lean, which I will need after adding pounds..
After 40, a guy is not going to add muscle mass (sand steroids). You are toning up what muscle you have.

I am doing body weight routines on days I do not go to YMCA.

3-5 seconds jumping jacks, 3-5 seconds running in place (high knee lift), 3-5 secondso running mountain climber. Do that rotation for 5 minutes.

Then from a flat footed start, feet body width apart, jump as far forward as you can. Hop back to the starting point, then do a "speed skater". Repeat for 5 minutes.

No, I am not yet able to make it through the complete routine.

Last edited:
That's too organized for me.

I'm pretty proud of myself for hitting the elliptical consistently since I got it a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I can keep that going.

Yah maybe. I dont really know the nomenclature. I just know it works like a mother.
Good cardio and moderate strengthening all in 30 mins....
Is this kinda what crossfit does except with more traditional exercises?

Last edited:
Crossfit is for crazy people. Circuit training is for old people like me. But I refuse to do it. So I do a mix and mix it up. Heavy weights one session to max, the lighter weights but more reps to max the next.
I am not a big guy.. maybe 165 at my fattest...but have not had any complaints about my body, yet.

Yah maybe. I dont really know the nomenclature. I just know it works like a mother.
Good cardio and moderate strengthening all in 30 mins....

It's somewhat that same thing. Crossfit workouts (the workouts designed by competent people) are designed to elicit a certain stimulus. We would never use machines, and we vary time, load and intensity constantly. Doing 30 mins every time would be less than ideal.

We might do a 30-45 min chipper one day, then a 7 min sprint the next day, a heavy day after that. It's always changing.

Rev would know crossfit better than me. I do what works for me at my age. I cut out most of the "cute" exercises and just focus on the core strengths. "Cute" being the 10 zillion alternate ways to do a bicep curl, for example. I can say that you likely will not make any definitive progress in strength by combining cardio and weights in a 30 minute program. Hell, I use 12 minutes just doing cardio as a warm-up..

Back