What game console to get?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I think we are getting an Xbox for the family for Christmas but I know nothing about them. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What sort of games do the kids like?

A lot of games are out for all the major consoles but some are exclusives. See which exclusives the kids are more interested in before you pick the system.

What sort of games do the kids like?

A lot of games are out for all the major consoles but some are exclusives. See which exclusives the kids are more interested in before you pick the system.

Even more important question here - what console do their friends use? (Major multiplayer consideration there)

Note to play Multiplayer on Xbox Live you need Gold level membership, Silver you get by default which lets you get the system updates and patches etc and I believe you can access the Xbox store for digital download games.

You often get a free trial of various durations of Gold with a purchase but basically it costs me £40 a year. Major upside of Gold is that Microsoft make some older games available for free (normally one a fortnight) as a loyalty bonus. Search for Games with Gold for more info but you basically have access to 20+ plus free games a year.

I believe the answer is Xbox. Anything I need to know about it before buying?

Lots of great $300 Xbox One deals right now, or deals that throw in an extra controller and/or game. Pick the bundle that gets a game you know the kids will like...Tomb Raider, Forza 6, Gears of War, Halo 5, Lego Movie Game (which isn't as cool as some Lego games, IMHO). You might consider paying more for one of the 1TB systems, modern games can take up a HDD space. Though I think many just upgrade the HDD to something later on (I know PS4 users do).

A big recommendation is pick a day with no kids and hook it up and do all the initial setup and updates before you wrap it. Otherwise the kiddos may be still watching a progress bar on Dec. 26. I suggest the same advice for any PS4 or Wii U purchase. This is mostly because all of these systems do a major, often lengthy, web-based OS update at first setup, these run slow on days when everyone is unpacking a new system; but also because hackers like to crash the MS and Sony networks on Christmas and release days just to screw people's holidays.

Last edited:
Ps4, all the way. I was a diehard Xbox guy but I really don't care for the One at all. There are a lot of $299 PS4 deals right now, including the Uncharted Package and the Star Wars Battlefront one. PS4 has a pretty simple user upgradable HD mod for more storage space and the Playstation Plus membership has a lot of great indie games free every month. Actually, the PS4 has better indie games period and it's library of original gaming is far superior, especially with Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky on the way. Uncharted is a cross between the old Tomb Raider games and Indiana Jones... I think Jacob would absolutely love it and you might like to play too!

I'd skip a Wii U entirely. Nintendo has a new console coming out next year. I know several people that have returned their Xbox Ones and gone with the PS4... it's pretty much a reversal of the last generation where the Xbox was winning and Sony just kept making mistakes; this time out Sony has made a great gaming machine and the One has tried to become your home entertainment hub that just happens to play games too.

They have stuff they do on the PC already.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448652416.289894.jpg

I think there are things in Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program that my son can only do on the Xbox though.

Spend a little more up front and get a gaming PC that connects to your TV. Only buy all the games on Steam, and only buy them on sale. You’ll save a lot of money over time. Obviously this only works if you’re patient and not a fan of all the Japanese games that only come out for consoles.

I think we are getting an Xbox for the family for Christmas but I know nothing about them. Any advice?

Get the one your kids want. Otherwise, they will bring it up every Christmas for the rest of your life.

Believe me, I still give my parent grief about the Sears branded Atari they bought on discount when I asked for an Intellivison

Back