Latest Musician's Friend Email

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Shop our Top-Rated Fender Acoustics
18166-MF-Web-Selects-11-16-FenderAcoustics-600x272.jpg

Yeah, because Fender is known for great acoustics. :embarrassed:

Somebody just sent me a mailer plugging Fender acoustics this week. Maybe Fender is trying to ride the hipster acoustic guitar fad.

Sadly they have made some decent acoustics. In the '90s they had a line of high-end USA made guitars that were along the lines of Taylor. They spec'd out insanely well and reasonably priced. I always wanted to try one, but never made it to a store that had any in stock. They clearly weren't successful or they'd still be around.

Gibson is really the only company that seems to get an even shake with electric and acoustic instruments. Fender had the nice foray into acoustics, Taylor makes what are supposed some really nice electrics (but they aren't nearly as regarded or used as the acoustics). Guild might be they only other company, and even they historically have had more acoustics in the hands of influential musicians. It helps that Gibson is such an old company and kept evolving, starting with acoustic instruments and evolving their products as technology enabled to stay modern and provide players what they needed or wanted.

It's a shame how much Gibson, Fender, Guild, etc. have gone from being innovators to basically stagnating. It's obviously not really their fault, they're trying to survive as businesses and we musicians are the narrow minded lot that would rather have endless variations on 60+ year old designs than actually play something new that could easily be better.

Buncha myopic twits we are...am I right?:thu:

In the 80's I had a couple of Fender acoustics with the "Fender-style" headstocks and loved them. More recently I had a Telecoustic that was fun to play. None would be my choice for a more straight-ahead acoustic performance, though.

Fender has had a few good acoustics, but on the whole they are very forgetable. They tried a few years ago to break into the more upper end market with a Buddy Miller sig model. Supposedly a very good acoustic as well. Only it bombed big time and they quit making it.

I bought a Fender acoustic at a garage sale--50 bucks, case and all. Solid spruce top. Sounds pretty good, brighter but less bottom than my Guild. Too good to be a beater, as I intended. I'm not sure I would have felt quite as warm to it if I paid the usual retail price.

I've tried a few Fender acoustics that were pretty good. I really like the old Guild acoustics pre-Fender and apparently another company has purchased the Guild name and people have hope for the brand.

I've tried a few Fender acoustics that were pretty good. I really like the old Guild acoustics pre-Fender and apparently another company has purchased the Guild name and people have hope for the brand.

She's a one. Bought new in 1976. Wish I had played more. I'd be a better guitar player now.

You haven't noticed all the kids in tight pants playing acoustic guitar, banjo, and mandolin? It's probably why Guitar Center hasn't liquidated.

I maintain a strict policy of ignoring any guy wearing girl jeans or sporting extravagant, waxed facial hair...

At one time they, Fender, were going to make hand made acoustic guitars in the North East some place. Vaguely recall a video about something that was associated with Ovation but since I would never be in the market for a $500 plus acoustic I threw it to the side and didn't follow it.

I went to GC a while ago and tried out a ton of acoustics. I grabbed the Fender Tim Armstrong model for a laugh and it felt great and sounded pretty good. If I were buying an acoustic in that price range, it would have been in the running.

I have two Fender acoustic-electrics that work alright for me: a Sonoran SCE and a Sonoran-Bucket. They both have Strat-like necks with the Strat headstock.

They're not Taylors, but they sound just fine for the ~$225 each I paid for them.

Back