Speaking of playing for free...

I had this phone call from a girl last week:

"Hi is this Jim?"

"Yes, I take it you're Fiona? Chris said you might call."

"Yes that's me. Great so you're OK to DJ at the event?"

"Umm well that depends."

"On what?"

"Well what are you working with budget wise, I don't usually do Xmas parties because they don't pay the fee I expect."

"Oh well we're looking for as cheap as possible, but the DJ has to be good to y know."

:facepalm:

Turns out this company is fucking MASSIVE and does all sorts of stuff for a firm that rhymes with jamazon, are shipping all their employees up for a weekend on the piss but they're trying to pay me £200 to DJ 7 - 1am the Saturday before Christmas in the middle of the city centre where I'll struggle to park and unload. JOG ON.

I had this phone call from a girl last week:

"Hi is this Jim?"

"Yes, I take it you're Fiona? Chris said you might call."

"Yes that's me. Great so you're OK to DJ at the event?"

"Umm well that depends."

"On what?"

"Well what are you working with budget wise, I don't usually do Xmas parties because they don't pay the fee I expect."

"Oh well we're looking for as cheap as possible, but the DJ has to be good to y know."

:facepalm:

Turns out this company is fucking MASSIVE and does all sorts of stuff for a firm that rhymes with jamazon, are shipping all their employees up for a weekend on the piss but they're trying to pay me £200 to DJ 7 - 1am the Saturday before Christmas in the middle of the city centre where I'll struggle to park and unload. JOG ON.
Sonsabitches.

I'm starting to notice that the insanely profitable mega corporations around here (lots of Bio-Tech and Big Pharma) are the biggest cheapskates with this stuff.

Meanwhile, the Not-for-profit organizations want to just throw money at you, especially at the end of the year because they have to empty out their entire budget or get screwed. A lot of them throw big parties just so they can burn the left over cash.

Reactions: jbj
Lol so the jamazon gig looks like it might be going ahead for £400. I've just received an email from the very fancy hotel its in saying they're desperate for someone to do their party the following night. 100+ tickets at £50 a go btw, and they know what Im charging for the Friday but the absolute most they can offer me is £200. :facepalm:

Yes sign me up for that one please.

Lol so the jamazon gig looks like it might be going ahead for £400. I've just received an email from the very fancy hotel its in saying they're desperate for someone to do their party the following night. 100+ tickets at £50 a go btw, and they know what Im charging for the Friday but the absolute most they can offer me is £200. :facepalm:

That'd look alot better if you didn't have to load gear out after that the first night and could just leave it set up.

The can afford it if they are charging £50 a ticket and 100+ of them have been sold.

I very much know the economics of how these things work - as it turns out the Jamazon co are absolutely fine with the fee, the 5* hotel, not so much so they've booked someone else, which if I'd to put money on it will probably have come in at under £200. Fair play to them if they want to go out that cheap, may they enjoy future cheap ass gig offers from said venue :grin:

Back