Effects loop in amps, do you need one or don't?

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
And explain why you need one please.

Let me go first...

For me in the present age, I don't need an efx loop as the music I play doesn't require the need. If I were playing 80's metal or prog, I would want one and would need one for my time effects.

Just curious....

Well, I prefer the sound of my Boss GT-8 into the effects return of my Classic 30, rather than in front.
So I guess I do need it.

I understand the concept that some pedals work better in front and some in the loop. I own both type of amps and I use minimal pedals. I see no difference.

Nope. It's bad enough I use pedals now, I don't need anything to make it more complex. Plus I really doubt anyone could tell the difference if I was using one.

Yes. The send on the loop in my combo works as a line feed out after the preamp. As the send is wired in parallel and it's the return that switches out when a jack is inserted, it lets me slave the preamp into the power amp stage of my second combo on the other side of the stage as well as the one my side.

I enjoy exploring sounds, so I have a few pedals to play with, but that's exactly what I do . . . "play" with them. When I've played live, I'm either behind the drums, playing an acoustic, or playing an electric with minimal effects. An effects loop just isn't a big deal for me at this point.

Only amp that it ever gets used on is the Peavey Renown. A very loud, horrible sounding amp. A Tech21 Bass Driver gets plugged into the return and, bass gets played through it.

If you're using pedal-based reverb and delay, they sound better in the effects loop. If you're running a clean amp and getting all your dirt from pedals, then an effects loop probably isn't necessary, although then, what's the point of a tube amp?

If you're using pedal-based reverb and delay, they sound better in the effects loop. If you're running a clean amp and getting all your dirt from pedals, then an effects loop probably isn't necessary, although then, what's the point of a tube amp?

There's a lot of filtering in a tube amp that doesn't happen in solid state. So I can run my pedals however I want, but still get that tube amp bounce, even clean. Solid state is flat and pedal distortion sounds much harder.

I don't use mine. I don't need crystal clear repeats on my delays so its just easier to run everything out front.

I have one on my Peavey, but not on my old '61 Fender. Other than playing with the loop on my Peavey way back when, I do not think I have ever used it. So I guess my answer is no.

I don't use the ones I have right now, even with delay. When I use the amp overdrive channel, it's more about getting a bass cut and just a hint of breakup.

Sooner or later, I'm going to get a good pedal reverb. Then I'll shut off the amp's spring reverb and might use the loop.

Also, I agree with I'maRock! Even totally clean, EL84 amps have a character I like -- a vocal "chirp" in the treble. My little Roland cube on the Vox setting gets close enough for practice or direct recording but it's not quite the same.

Back