Any HIWATT amp folks here?

themanfromalabam

Habanero Chomper
I pulled these from the depths of my closet and re tubed them, I forgot how good they accept effect pedals + they are great for classic rock.

Now I want to locate or build a Wem cab loaded with 12" fanes.

IMG_0377.JPG

Neat! I've never played through one. A buddy of mine is looking for a 50 watt head though.

For some reason I reached a point where I really love these amps and they are all I want to use....for shits and grins I want to try a Catalinbread Royal Albert Hall WIIO overdrive, it's supposed to simulate the sound/tone of the Custom Hiwatts Page used 69-72.

I've noticed quite a few national acts using them lately. My cousin has posted several pictures from shows recently that had Hiwatt amps on stage. Old 97s (?) Cracker/Camper etc.

I almost posted a thread asking if anyone knew what the sudden fascination with them was.

Can't say I know much about them other than them being relatively expensive, and Gilmour using them.

Edumacate me.

For some reason I reached a point where I really love these amps and they are all I want to use....for shits and grins I want to try a Catalinbread Royal Albert Hall WIIO overdrive, it's supposed to simulate the sound/tone of the Custom Hiwatts Page used 69-72.

It was cool. I traded it for a regular WIIO, and I liked the RAH better, but it still didn't sound like anything special to me. I wonder how it would sound up against my Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver, but I really don't want to change anything right now.

Is that a proper DR103 and DR504?

Yes, the top head is a 1977 non molested custom 100 / DR103 built by Hylight Inc, the custom 50 is much newer, 1993 DR504 built by audio Brothers, basically a Hiwatt clone but they used the ecact specs from Hylight, same vendors and and components built to military spec like the Sound City/Hylight era amps....both are very cool amps....there are not many clones because these amps could not be improved like mfg production line Fenders/Ampeg/marshalls

I happened upon HIWATT purely by accident, an unintentional trade which I didn't care about, I am so glad I made the trade now.....Anyway, here is a good brief summary of history of HIWATT.

Bsman, I want a 4X12 cab loaded with Fane's, right now I use two home made 2X12 cabs, one is loaded with V30's, the other Eminence Redcoat Tonkers.

Yes, the top head is a 1977 non molested custom 100 / DR103 built by Hylight Inc, the custom 50 is much newer, 1993 DR504 built by audio Brothers, basically a Hiwatt clone but they used the ecact specs from Hylight, same vendors and and components built to military spec like the Sound City/Hylight era amps....both are very cool amps....there are not many clones because these amps could not be improved like mfg production line Fenders/Ampeg/marshalls

I happened upon HIWATT purely by accident, an unintentional trade which I didn't care about, I am so glad I made the trade now.....Anyway, here is a good brief summary of history of HIWATT.

Bsman, I want a 4X12 cab loaded with Fane's, right now I use two home made 2X12 cabs, one is loaded with V30's, the other Eminence Redcoat Tonkers.
http://www.legendarytones.com/hiwatt-custom-100-dr103/

Back