Who likes distortion and feedback?

I am not in a band or any other regular playing situation at the moment. Nonetheless, I sometimes like to plug in, sometimes with my tele, and often with my Hagstrom semi hollow, and make loud distorted noise, sometimes accompanied or punctuated by feedback. I tend to use my BYOC based Rat clone, or my Electro Harmonix Lil' Big Muff if I want nearly uncontrollable feedback, at least with the semi. Looking typically for Weezer-esqe or maybe Foo noise, or Crazy Horse noise.

Anyone else? Anyone use feedback and lots of distortion professionally? What do you guys use?

I know not much of anything. I just think it is fun. :grin:

I like to stack all of my dirt pedals together and see what happens.
I've even put my guitar stand in front of my amp, hit a harmonic, and walked away. Just to see what happens...

...it gets loud.

When, like now, I have not been playing a lot, I want to just learn to play something simple, like this, and make a bunch of fun noise.

This last one, a long, long time favorite, was apparently with no effects at all. I can't play that loud. :wink:

Edit:

And here is that Crazy Horse noise that I love.

Not getting into the politics of this song, just like the song and sound.

Last edited:
I like to stack all of my dirt pedals together and see what happens.
I've even put my guitar stand in front of my amp, hit a harmonic, and walked away. Just to see what happens...

...it gets loud.
I like to do that sometimes too. I especially like doing that with my old DS-1 and Digitech Bad Monkey, my first two pedals. My Bad Monkey smoothes out the harshness of the DS-1, and the DS-1 adds a nice snarl to the Bad Monkey.

I don't gig anymore, but I spend way too much time just making noise. I use my rat cone or my muff clone, and add some delay or long reverb, sometimes a flanger and the vibrato on my McFeely.

I grew up loving Nugent because of what he did with feeding back on this song. Can't get enough.

I don't gig anymore, but I spend way too much time just making noise. I use my rat cone or my muff clone, and add some delay or long reverb, sometimes a flanger and the vibrato on my McFeely.
So you and I are using pretty much the same dirt, and I have the reverb in there. Will mess around with some flanger, maybe even some chorus Cobain style too. I like stacking my chorus on my DS-1. Should try it with the others.

Also, in making noise, I am finding I like full chords, ala Ramones style, rather than power chords sometimes. Then sometimes, power chords can be fun. But usually, I like the other notes mushing in there too.

I love love feedback. Nothing is cooler than tuned feedback screaming from the speakers. Old school Bauhaus (Rose Garden Funeral of Sores) was chock full of it. The Edge used it brilliantly on "Bullet the Blue Sky". I am infatuated with it. I get a massive thrill every time we play "White Wedding" because I get to stick my Strat right up against the front of the amp and ape shit with the feedback during the break in the middle. :)

Yes

behringer-super-fuzz-sf300-338417.jpg

I don't use many pedals, just a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, and a Red Witch Fuzz God. Pretty easy to get good feedback and distorted sounds through my Classic 30's. But the Red Witch pedal with the Wrath and Sputter controls gets some pretty messed up sounds making it easy to get that whole Neil Young and Crazy Horse thing going. I used to just use one of those Boss DF-2 pedals but the feedback that it made was kind of weird sounding, although I did like the distortion sound.

So you and I are using pretty much the same dirt, and I have the reverb in there. Will mess around with some flanger, maybe even some chorus Cobain style too. I like stacking my chorus on my DS-1. Should try it with the others.

Also, in making noise, I am finding I like full chords, ala Ramones style, rather than power chords sometimes. Then sometimes, power chords can be fun. But usually, I like the other notes mushing in there too.

I usually just start out with dirt, then just keep adding pedals until it is total chaos :grin: I love hitting harmonics and letting them ring and modulate then give it a little dive with my JM vibrato.

I love feedback when done creatively. As for the amount of distortion, depends on my mood. Some days I want none, some days I want more than I need.
Thanks for replying Randy! Do you use pedals for the distortion and/or feedback (2 separate questions), and solid body guitar or semi? Any hints for learning to use it creatively rather than just as a mess? :grin: (though sometimes, just a mess of distortion and feedback can be fun. :wink: )

Thanks for replying Randy! Do you use pedals for the distortion and/or feedback (2 separate questions), and solid body guitar or semi? Any hints for learning to use it creatively rather than just as a mess? :grin: (though sometimes, just a mess of distortion and feedback can be fun. :wink: )

Depends on the app. I like single channel amps so I use pedals for overdrive and distortion. I like to cascade them for my need and application. I will use a clean boost to pump up leads and with cascading the overdrives, I can change the color and texture of the OD/Distortion by the controls or the type of drive I use (ie: Rat, TS, Marshall, etc.). I do this with either solid or semi-hollow guitars. I have a trend to use my semi's with less overdrive as I like it to just get over the hump so it is not quite as heavy.

As for feedback, much easier to get with a hollowbody. You have be careful though as the sound could howl badly. With a mild overdrive and the right body placement, I can obtain feedback in the right setting as needed. With the solid bodies, it is harder. I need a slightly loader volume sometimes to obtain along with a little more drive.

Been learning how to do this when using a slide to achieve the sound Rod Price used on Foghat Live now. Very interesting as you must keep the slide active at the sametime not to let it get out of control. Hope that helps Steve.

Depends on the app. I like single channel amps so I use pedals for overdrive and distortion. I like to cascade them for my need and application. I will use a clean boost to pump up leads and with cascading the overdrives, I can change the color and texture of the OD/Distortion by the controls or the type of drive I use (ie: Rat, TS, Marshall, etc.). I do this with either solid or semi-hollow guitars. I have a trend to use my semi's with less overdrive as I like it to just get over the hump so it is not quite as heavy.

As for feedback, much easier to get with a hollowbody. You have be careful though as the sound could howl badly. With a mild overdrive and the right body placement, I can obtain feedback in the right setting as needed. With the solid bodies, it is harder. I need a slightly loader volume sometimes to obtain along with a little more drive.

Been learning how to do this when using a slide to achieve the sound Rod Price used on Foghat Live now. Very interesting as you must keep the slide active at the sametime not to let it get out of control. Hope that helps Steve.
Thanks! Some good stuff to play with there.

Back