NSDD - I need to learn how to play drums

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
I won the snare drum that @ChicagoMusicEx, @fredgretsch, and @gretsch gave away last night at CME. I also won a bunch of other swag like a tooled leather guitar strap, a t shirt, a poster, and a shoulder bag.

12017659_1219266551432567_5672516929011026383_o.jpg
12132510_1219266558099233_6043671306015321479_o.jpg
12138321_1219266554765900_3508281235576040963_o.jpg
12140068_1219266561432566_648642131641053973_o.jpg

Congrats! If your Craigslist is anything like the one here there’s a full drum kit for $50 at least once a month.

Very cool PK! I think Fred should have signed the interior of the shell (less chance of it wearing off over time), but that's just me.

BTW, drums are a lot of fun once you get the basics down. I've been playing for 8 years now.

Very cool PK! I think Fred should have signed the interior of the shell (less chance of it wearing off over time), but that's just me.

BTW, drums are a lot of fun once you get the basics down. I've been playing for 8 years now.

What's a good way to learn the basics? Short of getting lessons with a person, I mean. We stumbled into a drum kit, and I have the urge.

What's a good way to learn the basics? Short of getting lessons with a person, I mean. We stumbled into a drum kit, and I have the urge.
A couple of lessons in the beginning will go a very long way. Just some basic "this is how you hold the sticks, sit properly and set up the drum kit to fit you" is huge and getting started in a method book that you can continue with on your own would get you rolling nicely. Most folks who don't do that end up discouraged and/or not being able to play even at a basic level.

A couple of lessons in the beginning will go a very long way. Just some basic "this is how you hold the sticks, sit properly and set up the drum kit to fit you" is huge and getting started in a method book that you can continue with on your own would get you rolling nicely. Most folks who don't do that end up discouraged and/or not being able to play even at a basic level.

This, so much. It's so worth it, and make sure they teach you how to properly tune a kit.

Thanks. I may pay some person to come to the house. I bet I can find a drum teacher to do that.

If I find him on CL, is it expected that I will be wearing assless chaps when they arrive, or do we get changed later?

Thanks. I may pay some person to come to the house. I bet I can find a drum teacher to do that.

If I find him on CL, is it expected that I will be wearing assless chaps when they arrive, or do we get changed later?
Just have the crab meat ready. Hide your sons' model trains though.

Last edited:
I completely agree with a few lessons up front to get you started on the right foot. I was self-taught for a little while, and then took lessons. When I started lessons, I think it was assumed that I knew certain things, so I ended up with a few bad habits. It took a second teacher to recognize the bad habits, and to help me break those habits.

I am by no means a "natural," and I am growing and enjoying the drumming as much as I enjoy playing the guitar.

Back