Discontinued/changed/downsized items

Theodore

I gotta move
I'm tired of this. Meijer used to carry store brand tortilla chips with no salt, but discontinued them. Can't find any other no-salt tortilla chips. I can make my own but it's a pain in the ass. I also finally found a gluten-free frozen pizza that I liked, only for the company to change it and make it smaller (for the same price, of course). It's no longer worth buying. Latest: Chex instant gluten-free oatmeal.

The only upside is that I can buy a bunch for cheap when they go on clearance. :facepalm:

What kills me is that it’s rarely good food that gets discontinued. Nobody discontinues Tyson frozen chicken breasts with a marinade of brine and corn syrup. But a yogurt without any additives that tastes good is lucky to stay on the shelves for six weeks.

I used to buy a frozen lentil loaf at Whole Foods that was a favorite for Carol and I. The item has been discontinued and no one else makes a similar product. I really miss that.

I knew that was coming...

But, I am not the only vegetarian in the world who likes lentil loaf. My wife is not a vegetarian and loved it.

I like lentils in many ways (especially Ethiopian misr wat), but somehow, the loaf part puts me off...

I made lentil curry last night, one of my favorite weeknight meals. Usually I eat it in tacos with a little yogurt or sour creme (except for last night, we didn't have the right kind of tortillas).

There's another tortilla chip brand that has a no salt version, but for the life of me I can't remember who. Hannover's, maybe?

I think I've seen it at Meijers, too.

There's another tortilla chip brand that has a no salt version, but for the life of me I can't remember who. Hannover's, maybe?

I think I've seen it at Meijers, too.

Dunno. I've studied the aisle pretty intently. Our Meijer is also pretty good at not restocking shelves when items are gone. I think they rely on overnight stockers to do everything, including making it impossible to get through aisles.

Jewel/Osco carries the Azteca brand tortilla chips that offer an unsalted variety.

At the moment, Jewel is part of the SuperValu conglomerate, so maybe other SuperValu-affiliated stores may have it :shrug:

Jewel/Osco carries the Azteca brand tortilla chips that offer an unsalted variety.

At the moment, Jewel is part of the SuperValu conglomerate, so maybe other SuperValu-affiliated stores may have it :shrug:

Talk about discontinued. Our Jewel/Oscos all closed up shop 10+ years ago.

On a related note, until the end of the month you can buy Frankenberry, Booberry, and Count Chocula. Screme Eggs seem not to have come back in the USA this year. But that’s not a terrible loss—quality control on Cadbury eggs has been going downhill for years.

There was this Saffron Road chicken biryani that was really good for frozen food and not a bad deal. They had like six other entrees, of which the ones I tried were pretty meh, and I've seen all of them except the biryani for weeks.

:mad:

This is weird

I made lentil curry last night, one of my favorite weeknight meals. Usually I eat it in tacos with a little yogurt or sour creme (except for last night, we didn't have the right kind of tortillas).

I hadn't made this in a while, but I made it tonight just when this thread gets resurrected! *wooooooooooooo*

Tonight, I had fresh-made tortillas. :)

I'm tired of this. Meijer used to carry store brand tortilla chips with no salt, but discontinued them. Can't find any other no-salt tortilla chips. I can make my own but it's a pain in the ass. I also finally found a gluten-free frozen pizza that I liked, only for the company to change it and make it smaller (for the same price, of course). It's no longer worth buying. Latest: Chex instant gluten-free oatmeal.

The only upside is that I can buy a bunch for cheap when they go on clearance. :facepalm:
That's because they have no salt bro...people want salt in their lives :wing:

I recall trying some Evil Burritos when they came out and they were at least twice the current size and on sale too. once they started selling the price went up and the size went down.....oldest game in the book.

Back