Help! Practice routine

nuke_diver

Riding Solo
Having been suitably inspired at the Tommy Emmanuel Camp there are a number of things I want to start working on. One of the things that both TE and Joe Robinson said is that if they are working on a new song they concentrate on that 100%. Of course the difference is they probably figure it out in a day not a month or 2 it might take me. So while I think I could do that I think I would soon quit playing. I wonder if some of you guys that teach could comment on a schedule such as this below (still in the rough stages).

Day 1 - Finger style practice concentrating on technique only
Day 2 - Work on 1 finger style song (repeating this until it's memorized and being played at least to a recognizable level before moving to the next one...yeah I know I don't do this well ..maybe a little ADD)
Day 3 - Jazz chord structure
Day 4- Chord Melody (not sure about this one just yet)
Rinse and repeat.

At night I would also play but that would not be for practice but for fun, playing songs I know, Rocksmith etc.

I have a list of songs to learn that right now looks like. This might change since this list could represent several years of practice :cry:

Windy and Warm
Papa George (Tommy E)
Adelaide (Joe Robinson)
Moondance
Jiffy Jam
To B or Not to B
Cannonball Rag
Guitar Rag
Borsalino

If I needed to work on that many items I'd rather try and get a few in (if not all) every day.

Same as what Mark said. I would make a timed routine and keep the routine consistent.

I dig Windy and Warm!

If I needed to work on that many items I'd rather try and get a few in (if not all) every day.

Do you mean the songs or the techniques? I will likely only do one song at a time at least for a couple of days just going over it.

@Modern Saint it's a great tune but I'm having trouble finding a good version (tab) of it to work off of. None of the sound right to me. One of the folks at the camp played it so I'm getting her input :thu:

Two bits of goal-setting advice I like to give, even if I don't always follow them:

1) For routines (like practicing every day), set a time limit, and quit when the timer goes off. The ONLY alternative is to practice until you get stuck or get frustrated, and that doesn't put you in a headspace you'll ever want to revisit. Spend the last minute or so looking ahead so you'll be amped about what comes next and eager to sit back down the next day.

2) Set (roughly) three short term goals. In this situation, look at your first three (or so) songs. The whole list looks overwhelming, and you'll very likely want to go on a different direction after learning the first couple. Maybe you'll realize from the first song that you really need to work on your pattern picking, so you veer in that direction. Keep just a couple songs in the hopper, and let them guide you where you want to go.

Do you mean the songs or the techniques? I will likely only do one song at a time at least for a couple of days just going over it.

@Modern Saint it's a great tune but I'm having trouble finding a good version (tab) of it to work off of. None of the sound right to me. One of the folks at the camp played it so I'm getting her input :thu:
The techniques. Maybe just work on a song or two at a time. @Chicken Man has some good stuff too ^^^^^

I think I only have 3 or 4 brain cells available for music.....alternating bass taxes those brain cells a lot. If I don't think about it I can play the first couple of parts of W&W but I don't think the alternating bass is going so well :(...if I think about it well then there's that brain cell overload issue. I've gone back to the TrueFire Fingerstyle Milestones....lesson 1 part 1 :facepalm:

Back