New car time: what say ye?

bsman

b00b
well, after 15 years and 150K miles, I think it's time to quit my 2000 Altima. I am getting a whopping big severance package at the end of this month (I'm not losing my job, just changing bosses -- long story) so I figured I'd put some ducats down on a new ride. I am somewhat limited, because I am used to and prefer manual trannies. However, since the kiddies are gone, I thought I could get something at least a little fun! My son drove me to Sacramento and back on Wed in his Subaru WRX, and the sensation of being pushed back in the seat by acceleration is something I could get used to.

However, I'm still me (i.e. Cheap) so,ideally I would like something that isn't TOO hard on the wallet and gets good mileage. I have mostly been looking at new cars, and am considering the Ford Fiesta ST, Honda Civic Si, Mazda3 (my wife loves hers), and Subaru BRZ. Any suggestions? Should I be looking at used cars, too? Like I say, I want something a little more fun than my gray, staid Altima!

Mini Cooper S.
A friend has one and it is a blast to drive.
Think rocket powered roller skate.
It gets about 32 mpg.

Mini Cooper S.
A friend has one and it is a blast to drive.
Think rocket powered roller skate.
It gets about 32 mpg.
I hear your actual gas milage is even higher......since it's often on the back of a tow truck :wink:

Seriously, if you want a Cooper, do your research on the recommended years to buy. Even c&ds last long term test car has made frequent appearances at the dealer service bay

http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mini-cooper-s-hardtop-long-term-update-review

For me, that's been a deal breaker under new warranty unless they eventually let my local BMW dealer sercice it as opposed to the mini dealer that's 25 miles away or whatever. My neighbor got fed up with his poor reliability experience after a few years & traded it in on a Nissan

Reactions: Tig
Any suggestions? Should I be looking at used cars, too? Like I say, I want something a little more fun than my gray, staid Altima!

Budget? Prefs? Awd, fwd or rwd? How do you plan to use it? 2 seats fine or do you need 4 practical seats?

Budget? Prefs? Awd, fwd or rwd? How do you plan to use it? 2 seats fine or do you need 4 practical seats?

Ideally, I'd like to spend around $20 - $25K (Like I said -- I'm cheap!) but would go over that if it makes sense (my wife always says: "don't be cheap!). I don't really have a preference regarding awd, fwd or rwd, because where I live (SF Bay Area) we are blessed with an abundance of sunny days and an absolute dearth of snow. I would basically use it to get to work in the morning, with the occasional road trip to rural CA, Oregon, Washington, etc. I live about a half-mile from Levi's Stadium, so the wife and I are contemplating a road trip to the Southwest during the Superbowl....

I don't really need more than two seats, but prefer that -- long habit. Oh -- I would also like the ability to hang a bike somewhere on the thing! Hope that's enough info!

I really like the looks of the Hyundai Veloster and the Scion FRS. Both priced fairly reasonably.

Ideally, I'd like to spend around $20 - $25K (Like I said -- I'm cheap!) but would go over that if it makes sense (my wife always says: "don't be cheap!).

That price range puts you in used cars for the BRZ/FRS. (If you test drive a BRZ/FRS, make sure you go with out the salesman so you can really wring it out. That ~4K torque dip makes the car feel kinda lazy when you're just putzing around.) The FiST can get over that pretty quick w/ options. I haven't driven the FiST but it's on the list of cars (incl the 500 Abarth) I'd like to look at when my wife is ready to get rid of her Fit. The Si is going to top out your budget too. Haven't driven the latest gen on that either but it seems like Honda has kinda lost the script on that car's identity over the years. If I was going Mazda 3, the Speed3 would be my jam. Used opens a slew of cars depending on the market in your region and your level of comfort w/ a private sale transaction.

I don't really have a preference regarding awd, fwd or rwd, because where I live (SF Bay Area) we are blessed with an abundance of sunny days and an absolute dearth of snow.

In general, the handling dynamics of those drive trains are different & most people develop a preference in one direction or another when it comes to spirited driving. If you haven't experienced throttle steering or over-steer on a RWD car, you're missing out on a bunch of fun. AWD cars, like the WRX, are a totally different animal & really depend on how the mfg dials in the bias and what drive type they use. FWD, like the Mini & FoST, are still plenty entertaining.

I would basically use it to get to work in the morning, with the occasional road trip to rural CA, Oregon, Washington, etc. I live about a half-mile from Levi's Stadium, so the wife and I are contemplating a road trip to the Southwest during the Superbowl....I don't really need more than two seats, but prefer that -- long habit.

If it's your DD, reliability & some degree of efficiency and comfort should probably be factor. Warranty may also have weight to you, idk. Personally, I think the rear seats in something like the BRZ/FRS are great for a couple bags of groceries but not so much for human beings much past car seat age. Hatchbacks are a little more versatile. That said, I daily a two seat car w/ little storage space w/ zero regret. If I need extra seats or storage, I drive my truck or wife's 4 door hatchback.

Oh -- I would also like the ability to hang a bike somewhere on the thing! Hope that's enough info!

Where there's a will, there is always a way. Heck, drive everything in your price range and see what shakes out; you often develop preferences you never realized you'd have.

I'd be thinking used first since a couple of years old will give you a substantial discount (I'm an expert on cheap...since I stopped working 6 months ago). All of the cars you mentioned can be found used locally. Personally if I was looking I'd be looking first at the BRZ/FRS they are supposed to be a blast to drive and are 2 doors and 6 speed manual tranny(I only drive 2 door manuals). Given some of the roads around here that could be a whole lot of fun (thinking Hwy 9 or 84 as examples...just watch for the cyclists :Wave:). Since you want it as a DD you might want to consider certified used but that will add some cost over a private sale.

Avoid the Fiesta like the plague. It made Forbes top ten worst cars list, I believe.

Trying to pull a jaybird?

I have yet to see/read a negative review of the FiST. Have a link to that?
Not sure what that means, must have missed the jbird thing that happened. I just like the Alfa.

Of the cars listed in the OP, due to Asian seating, I would have to look at the Fiesta. Subarus are neat cars, but they give me sciatica on longer drives. Euro seating seems to work for me better. I love the idea of the Mazda, but the seating scares me off.

No USB, and only one type of connector for your phone. So if you have, say, a Samsung, and your wife has an iPhone, the wife won't be able to plug in her phone in your car.

Back