'New Mexico' tacos…what makes them different?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I bought some of this Frontera 'New Mexico' taco seasoning

tg-024.jpg

I'm eating some tacos I made with it right now as I type this. Pretty tasty, but what makes them 'New Mexico' style instead of just regular (Texas?) tacos?

Oddly, I don't think there is an "Old Mexico Taco Seasoning". Most Mexican spices you see here are packaged like this. I don't know how New Mexico varies from Arizona or California spice-wise.
l.jpg

taco-dress-costume.jpg

So it's basically the chilis that separate New Mexico stuff from Tex-Mex or Mexi-Cali foods?

I'm sure those places have chilis in their stuff too, so what makes a NM chili different?

So it's basically the chilis that separate New Mexico stuff from Tex-Mex or Mexi-Cali foods?

I'm sure those places have chilis in their stuff too, so what makes a NM chili different?

Is just the specific chile.
Hatch chiles are a very culturally significant food in New Mexico. They're everywhere in the state.

From my experience, lack of flavor is what makes them different.
Plain as a primer coat.

Is just the specific chile.
Hatch chiles are a very culturally significant food in New Mexico. They're everywhere in the state.

They are everywhere in Colorado as well. I bought a quart fresh out of a roaster last weekend. They didn't last a week. I need to go buy a bushel. So awesome....

As for the OP - it is just a marketing name for the product. The Frontera Grill is in Chicago.

Back