Labor Day food

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
It occurs to me that Labor Day doesn't really have a traditional menu that I'm aware of. Should it? And what would it be?

Alternatively, what are you cooking this particular labor day?

Those of you from outside the states or don't observe labor day for private reasons still welcome to participate. :)

Probably BBQ something. Just like every weekend and many days in between.

I'd say traditional BBQ / Picnic food is the standard. Many Labor Day celebrations involve going to a park somewhere and burning something. Oh, and beer. (I miss beer)

"Workingman's Lunch." I like it!
mun01.jpg

I have nothing planned....which means I'll probably do something ridiculous like pick up a rack of ribs or smoke a brisket just because I have the day off.

[QUOTE="Gary Blanchard, post: 1191500,
I really don't like cookout food.[/QUOTE]

That's mighty un-Murrican, almost treasonous. cop0

Well, the day has arrived. It's just three of us, and I'm grilling some nice steaks. Simple, easy and delicious.

Also Blue Bell ice cream. Finally the nightmare ice cream drought of 2015 is ending!

I'm making pastramied boneless short ribs (they've been mariniating in a rub since yesterday afternoon), sate mushrooms, parsley new potatoes and I made firnee (a rosewater/cardomom afghani custard) last night that we'll have for dessert. Since I don't have a smoker, I cook the ribs with smoke on my Weber "little smokey" for ten minutes on each side then wrap them in foil and finish them in the oven. While they are cooking, the mushrooms and onions will be marinating in a soy-based marinade for 1/2 hour and then threaded on sticks and cooked on the grill. The meat was coated on all sides yesterday with a rub of my own devising of cracked black pepper, sugar, mustard, balti seasoning and garlic powder. It's been sitting in an airtight ziploc in the fridge since then, and I can't wait for dinner!

Brewers plate style meat, cheese, fruit and olive plate yesterday for lunch.

Peirogi, kielbasa & kraut at the Polish American Festival for dinner last night.

Scratch made Belgian waffles for breakfast.

The rest of the brewers plate for lunch today.

Maybe salmon for dinner. Undecided

Back