The Video Music awards as seen by a small time video director.

Yeah - pretty much what I figured the VMAs were. Amazing that he had to pay for his own ticket.

I keep hoping that eventually the public appetite for this celebrity self indulgent award programming will end. There are so many music and acting awards it seems hard NOT to win one.

The deeper I get into business, not just the music business but ALL business, and this is how I feel. The entertainment business just turns the volume up to 11 so it's more painfully evident... but in every business there are those who pour their blood and sweat into it, just to make a living and a small (seemingly random at times) subset of people hoard millions of dollars off the deal.

It just makes me scratch my head... those people don't want to share the money that's circulating around the business with those who are doing the hard work? If they do, does that ostracize them from the other "Masters of the Universe" and the work dries up?

It's just so weird. I don't know if it's grown to this, or if it's ALWAYS been like this but now it's just more painfully evident.

:lol:
Miley shows up. She rolls out of a rainbow butthole dressed like a Sabado Gigante hoochie and pulls off a pair of multi-colored, furry sleeves, revealing the arms of an eight-year-old boy.

Justin Bieber performs in a black T-shirt and a black hat. He looks like he works the drive-thru at goth Arby’s.

I meet the legendary cinematographer Daniel Pearl. ...we discuss Kanye. He tells me about how he once wrote several pages to the rapper describing how he was going to shoot “N*ggas in Paris.” Kanye got mad at him. He said, “I don’t read anything over 27 words.”

1:embarrassed:0 a.m.: This whole thing is a shitshow. It is so loud. Every girl is spilling out of her dress. It’s like someone poured semen on a turd, stirred it with a vape pen and gave birth to an army of terrible people.

1:30 a.m.: I start filming Periscope videos of the party. I title them things like “Douchey Hollywood Party” and “Diarrhea’s POV.”

I must have had glue in my ears for the last six months because I had to google the band and song he directed the video for.

or maybe I'm just lucky.

qg9cl.jpg

I've had glue in my ears the last six months too, I guess.

I wish it were ice picks after listening to those Mary Halvorson songs and checking out a Camper Van Beethoven song messedup0 :chow2:

Wow what an article! :lol:

The more I ask younger people than I about what they think of modern pop music, the more I realize that the creators & participators in the industry these days have douched themselves right out of popular relevance- what a fucking circus sideshow pile of shit.

The symptom of their irrelevance is this: The fact that they have to manufacture "hits" unnaturally- without the song actually being a hit because it's popular- they just pour dump trucks full of money into it until the song is so saturated in the eyes of the public that it seems to be a hit song. Artists are fully capable of simply writing a song, & of having people like it because it's good, not just because it's just kinda there, everywhere they look on the net, on tv, on the radio. Look at the thread about how much money it takes to create a hit song these days. They have to work so hard to keep up their illusion of greatness in the eyes of the public, that it just turns in the VMAs- overcompensating to such a degree that it's becomes a joke.

And every time I talk to younger people (teenagers and those in their 20's ) the more I feel that most people see right through it. People like real music, & most of the time they know it when they hear it.

Reactions: Tig
Wow what an article! :lol:

The more I ask younger people than I about what they think of modern pop music, the more I realize that the creators & participators in the industry these days have douched themselves right out of popular relevance- what a fucking circus sideshow pile of shit.

The symptom of their irrelevance is this: The fact that they have to manufacture "hits" unnaturally- without the song actually being a hit because it's popular- they just pour dump trucks full of money into it until the song is so saturated in the eyes of the public that it seems to be a hit song. Artists are fully capable of simply writing a song, & of having people like it because it's good, not just because it's just kinda there, everywhere they look on the net, on tv, on the radio. Look at the thread about how much money it takes to create a hit song these days. They have to work so hard to keep up their illusion of greatness in the eyes of the public, that it just turns in the VMAs- overcompensating to such a degree that it's becomes a joke.

And every time I talk to younger people (teenagers and those in their 20's ) the more I feel that most people see right through it. People like real music, & most of the time they know it when they hear it.
But someone is buying this drivel, or they would stop manufacturing it.

So you choose a job feeding this beast of shallowness that you bitch about and you're mad that you can't make enough money at it?

Ok, dude. Maybe I'll see you in the grownup world someday.

I've had glue in my ears the last six months too, I guess.

I wish it were ice picks after listening to those Mary Halvorson songs and checking out a Camper Van Beethoven song messedup0 :chow2:

How do you get through life without an appreciation of beauty?

But someone is buying this drivel, or they would stop manufacturing it.

I know- it makes no sense to me. Are they buying these songs? I thought most people below a certain age just streamed everything for next to nothing or listened to songs on youtube or something. I occurred to me while I was typing (actually, hunting & pecking very quickly) my last post. Who is giving their money to these people that I &, many many many others feel don't deserve a cent of it, & certainly wouldn't buy their songs.

Maybe I am just fortunate to run into music minded people where I live.

Music videos are, surprisingly, profitable.

I've always hated them, with a handful of brilliant exceptions, but plenty of people still watch (and rewatch).

That was superb.
Although, troubling, I was more interested in how to buy a slave girl from ISIS in the story that came up next.

Back