Dig it! Fred Kelly Delrin Freedom Finger Pick

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
The other day Strings and Beyond had a string deal that I jumped on. While I was ordering, I thought I might look for some new thumb and finger picks. There I came across the Freedom finger pick:
fred-kelly-delrin-freedom-finger-pick-10.gif

I have been using the Alaska pick, but that relies on your fingernail to help keep it in place, and I have trouble keeping the nail long enough. As a result, sometimes have the finger pick slip out of place in the middle of a song. So I decided I'd take a chance on this at $4.95 per pick.

The package arrived last night and I tried it out. It held well to my finger, but didn't seem to have enough picking surface beyond my fingernail. I tried it again a little while ago, and realized I was wearing it too far down on the finger. If I move it further up the finger I have a good picking surface. I have been practicing with it and am finding it is easier to use now. If I use it for strumming it does not feel as though it will come off the finger. I think this is now my finger pick of choice.

Reactions: Tig
I expect to email you in six months or so to remind me what the new fingerpicks you tried were called. Those might be a solution to my picking problems, too.

I expect to email you in six months or so to remind me what the new fingerpicks you tried were called. Those might be a solution to my picking problems, too.
I am really digging it. I've only used a thumb and finger pick the last 5 years or so; I just used my bare fingers prior to that.

I just picked up some of these:

DJG_0254.jpg

I don't normally play with finger picks, but I've been interested in these for quite awhile and when I was in Nashville I decided to try them. I still feel clumsy playing with them, but they definitely feel more comfortable and controllable then traditional fingerpicks.

I don't understand the logic of fingerpicks, unless you're playing a squareneck, a pedal steel, or if you're playing a banjo Scruggs-style. A thumb pick, sure, I guess.

I don't understand the logic of fingerpicks, unless you're playing a squareneck, a pedal steel, or if you're playing a banjo Scruggs-style. A thumb pick, sure, I guess.
I can't keep long fingernails on account of my garden and my job, and the finger picks make it easy to match the volume and tone of a fl at pick when I'm switching back and forth.
I just picked up some of these:

DJG_0254.jpg
I have those. They feel very natural and sound great, but pop off the instant i strum, which comes up a lot on banjo, especially.

I can't keep long fingernails on account of my garden and my job, and the finger picks make it easy to match the volume and tone of a fl at pick when I'm switching back and forth.

I have those. They feel very natural and sound great, but pop off the instant i strum, which comes up a lot on banjo, especially.

I also got the thumbpick version, with the short delrin end.

Back