What are you practicing this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Between some overuse damage to my right elbow and falling down a flight of stairs yesterday I'm taking a little break from playing guitar this week unless I need to for lessons. Guess I'll work on memorizing some songs vocally and maybe try to commit a few more jazz standards to memory without the instrument. Good times.

Health recovery mojo, Mark. :embarrassed:
Never take your body to a stair fight, BTW.

I've been working on George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun" this weekend. I've found even the best/most popular TABs aren't completely accurate.

My wife wants to sing the Grace Potter song, Low Road, at an open mic sometime soon. It's going to take me some time to figure out the guitar part on this acoustic version (but I like this version much more than the studio version).

Right now I'm just kind of focusing on playing anything a lot to make sure my fingers are up to snuff. Next week I am going to the Tommy Emmanuel Guitar camp in Cambria CA so I know I'll be spending that 4 days playing a lot more than normal....or perhaps not since as I look at what I can find on the web etc it seems that most (everyone?) that goes to this kind of thing is really good and I ain't so I think I'm over my head. But on the plus side I should learn a lot more than everyone else since they already know it and I don't. This is especially true for fingerstyle acoustic which I play but not a lot and not very well.

At this point in time it's too late to woodshed (it always was for me) but I have been making sure I get about an hour a day on the acoustic as well as some electric time...which is where I'm going now

Basic alternate picking chromatic exercises (I am pretty well grounded at about 90 BPM, can reach 100+ on good days),
I-VI-II-V arpeggios in C major.
Hopefully some writing

Back