I wish I could play better

Thank you everyone for the support and mojo. I'm a little embarrassed to have gone off like that last night but you are all amazing.

Yes, the work situation is the big problem. Playing guitar helps me stop thinking about it. Last night I tried to play things that normally aren't too hard and found them difficult.

Losing some playing sharpness just makes work piss me off that much more. Now the job is not only stressing me out, it's starting to suck the fun out of other things. That's when I start questioning if it's worth it.

I saw my parents die pretty suddenly. It can happen anytime and I won't get a second chance to do all those things I'm putting off because I'm "too busy".

And fuck Dallas in its shitty-driving, under-construction face.

Last edited:
Change the work situation, and resolve to do it now. Professional ethics ... really? For a place that is literally grinding you into dust? Would someone's health be impacted? I know little about what you do, but I suspect you are being far too thoughtful on behalf of people who don't give a shit about you.

I did that for quite some time, and -- wait for it -- it never gets better, only worse.

Just take action. By doing so, you'll remind yourself that YOU are in charge of your life, and even while at the same place, you'll feel better because you're doing something instead of just taking it.

Yeah. It's time to look for a new gig. I've seen big companies who claim to be ethical jettison perfectly good, even excellent employees because someone decided they didn't like that person. The only person looking out for you 100% is you. If they decide you're a liability they will think nothing of it. I'm at an "at will" employment state. So, if there's another gig that is closer and less hours a better pay you should take it. And you'll get more playing/family/hobby time. No point in all of that driving.

At least you have an excuse. I'm retired with plenty of time to practice and I still play like shit.

Last edited:
I care about my employer as much as they do about me. I like to keep things equal. :wink:

So Pie, do you work in Dallas' tech area, like Richardson? Cross town commute in a big city like Dallas is a soul crusher, especially when it is at a place you despise. My work at least pays for most of my bus fair from the park and ride. Driving sucks. Period.

I manage to get in a good 20-30 minutes of playing just before bed. It grounds me in a good way. Getting out in a forest or the like can also sooth the abused soul.

I care about my employer as much as they do about me. I like to keep things equal. :wink:

So Pie, do you work in Dallas' tech area, like Richardson? Cross town commute in a big city like Dallas is a soul crusher, especially when it is at a place you despise. My work at least pays for most of my bus fair from the park and ride. Driving sucks. Period.

I manage to get in a good 20-30 minutes of playing just before bed. It grounds me in a good way. Getting out in a forest or the like can also sooth the abused soul.

It's not a tech company. I'm closer to downtown.

I actually like North Texas but shitty driving is very much on the rise here.

Mojo Usian, change is good. No job is worth your whole life unless you work for yourself. Guitar therapy helps.

say_how_you_feel.jpg

To elaborate:

A dude I worked with for years quit tonight to go work for a different company. I considered applying for this same company but didn't. There are some professional ethics issues involved that hold me back.

This comes after a series of incredibly long days that will almost certainly go unrecognized by my current employer.

Even if I was taking lessons, it wouldn't matter. After a 12-hour day and 2 hours in fucking constant-construction Dallas traffic, I have no time to practice. Thus I can't play for shit right now.

I could go on but you get the idea.

My advice, at least for the immediate future, don't "practice". Just pick it up (or sit down with it, which ever you do) and just play something. Anything. One chord that sounds nice. And play it again. As many times as you like. No self-judgment. Just play whatever simple thing comes into your head/under your fingers. Give the desire to "be accomplished" on guitar a break. I think you'll find that just being happy playing simple enjoyable things will lead you in a better direction and ultimately advance your playing more than grinding away at some practice regimen.

I appreciate the sentiment. For better or worse, I just don't see work that way. In fact, I would say anyone who lives by that probably doesn't stay employed for long.

I don't agree with the notion of work being a means to self-fulfillment. In fact, it annoys the crap out of me to hear some people talk about it that way. Show me the person who "chooses" to work in order to satisfy a need for self-worth and I'll show you somebody who doesn't have family members depending on him/her to take a daily beating in order to keep them fed, sheltered, clothed, and educated.

Put differently: I have no choice in the matter and wish people who do would shut up. People have told me I should be happy I get to be around "adults" all day. Yeah, they have "adult" characteristics like being manipulative, back-stabbing, and dishonest.

The idea that a job should be someone's passion is a peculiar western post-World War II thing. Nobody thought about it that way 100 years ago. It's somewhat sick because it helps perpetuate the fallacy that our jobs are our identities.

What is one of the first things someone asks you when you meet -- "What do you do for a living?" Whether we think about it or not, we assign a certain amount of "worth" to a person based on the answer.

Only in an especially affluent society can people survive pursuing their passion. Most of the rest of the world has to grind it out.

No question I'm going to bail from this place as soon as I can find an equal or better opportunity. I don't expect to be fulfilled by it, though. I would be satisfied just not being angry and resentful most of the time.

Reactions: Tig
Yes, that kind of thing really doesn't work well in modern reality unless you are gifted, already wealthy, or don't mind suffering for your art. Being responsible for others, such choices don't exist for me. I do admire those who can make a living with their passion.

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation."
Thoreau

I agree that "work should be your passion" is for ... the fortunate. I STILL think you need to leave your job, based on your post. Work doesn't have to be your passion, but you should be passionate about at least part of your work.

In the recent past I made six figures in corporate sales. I loved the money. See: my other thread including info about growing up in very, very dicey circumstances. The security of money (yeah, I saved most of it - drove a Honda Civic with 200,000 miles on it) was wonderful. So, I get you: you grind it out.

But friend, there is grinding and there is grinding. And without cutting it too fine, when you post like you did, there's some line that's been crossed. I'm not going to say "follow your passion." I'm gonna say "get a better job." I worked corporate sales for 20 years to be able to afford seeing how it is to be a high school teacher. Know what? I love it, and it's still a fucking grind. Teaching is merciless, and the hours are insane, and you take a physical beating, and have to see a lot of tough stuff happen to damn nice kids. You're on your feet figuratively and literally all day long, doing something really important, and people say shitty things about you and your profession all the time. I'd love to retire, but I'm a few years away.

Now, here's the flip side: I get to spend time with 160-odd wonderful kids every day. Every freaking day. They amaze me so much - no kidding, "adults" behave badly. Teenagers, despite their rep, are pretty up front people. Treat them ok and they'll pay you back with interest. And my job is challenging in ways that 'making a number' never was.

My point is: every job is hard. You make ends meet. And once you accept that, you don't let people shit on you.

Last little anecdote. At my last serious position in corporate sales, I was part of a 1,000 employee company getting acquired. We got a lot of attention from our legacy leadership, as they were about to cash out based on multiples of our bookings. At 12:15 a.m. on December 26 (e.g., 15 minutes after Christmas ended) our sales team got an email from the then-CEO. That year, XMas was on a Saturday, so this was early Sunday morning the day after Christmas. There was a list of things the CEO wanted from us by 8am the next (Monday) morning. Failing the CEO in that world, btw, is an instantaneously firable offense.

The part that freaked me out wasn't an egomaniacal CEO ordering us to work on Sunday (the day after XMas). Nor even the pathetic expectation that we are glued to our inbox 24/7/365. It's shitty, but not unprecedented nor really even uncommon. No, what freaked me out was two things:
1. The tone. Although these were brand new requests, about something we hadn't really had on the radar screen, the tone of the email was angry. Uh, why? And then I realized ...
2. This person had spent Christmas working themself into a pissed off mood because something they wanted to happen hadn't already happened, and then spent hours of their holiday stewing as they concocted that note.

That's a super fucked up way to use the power of that position. And it's toxic.

Your post reeked of 'stuck in bad environment.' And unless you're not very good at what you do (unlikely), someone will hire you, and probably quickly. Do it. Not only do you not owe the company your misery, but you owe it to your family to not stay there and let it mess you up.

I appreciate the sentiment. For better or worse, I just don't see work that way. In fact, I would say anyone who lives by that probably doesn't stay employed for long.

I don't agree with the notion of work being a means to self-fulfillment. In fact, it annoys the crap out of me to hear some people talk about it that way. Show me the person who "chooses" to work in order to satisfy a need for self-worth and I'll show you somebody who doesn't have family members depending on him/her to take a daily beating in order to keep them fed, sheltered, clothed, and educated.

Put differently: I have no choice in the matter and wish people who do would shut up. People have told me I should be happy I get to be around "adults" all day. Yeah, they have "adult" characteristics like being manipulative, back-stabbing, and dishonest.

The idea that a job should be someone's passion is a peculiar western post-World War II thing. Nobody thought about it that way 100 years ago. It's somewhat sick because it helps perpetuate the fallacy that our jobs are our identities.

What is one of the first things someone asks you when you meet -- "What do you do for a living?" Whether we think about it or not, we assign a certain amount of "worth" to a person based on the answer.

Only in an especially affluent society can people survive pursuing their passion. Most of the rest of the world has to grind it out.

No question I'm going to bail from this place as soon as I can find an equal or better opportunity. I don't expect to be fulfilled by it, though. I would be satisfied just not being angry and resentful most of the time.

Part of me is very sympathetic to what you're saying, and part of me is totally exasperated.

I'm a prof in a fine arts program, and I've had the conversation over and over again: "Look, why are you doing this? You aren't doing well. We think you can make it through the degree, if you put the time and effort in, but what then? If your goal is to graduate and then stay in school and become a high-school teacher or go to law school, then that's great. If you're here because you can't see yourself doing anything else, then that's a mistake. We can see you doing other things, but not this. If a prospective employer calls us for feedback, we can't lie. Simply put, you lack the aptitude."

So yeah. Not everyone can be a soloist ballerina with NYCB, fly a fighter jet, or lead the Lakers. Surprise surprise.

But "finding your passion" isn't the same thing as "pursuing your hobby". It's about finding something that you're good at, excites you, challenges you, and pays the bills. If you're in the mindset that it's lose-lose - "I can have a family OR I can run off and join the circus, and that's it" - then you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment, depression, bitterness, whatever; it seems like you've got a ball of that growing inside you already.

So yes. You shouldn't go quit your job tomorrow. But you should absolutely go speak to a career counsellor, work on a current résumé, test the job market, spend some time thinking about what you can see yourself doing, maybe take some online courses or something.

And you should also find some time for yourself. You clearly need it. Take a vacation, visit a massage therapist, speak to a psychologist, take up a new hobby, become more physically active, take a course, make an effort to read more, call Jammity for recommended prostitutes, whatever.

Anyway, the big picture socio-economic shit - I mean, yeah, you're right and you're wrong. We do judge people based on their career and education, and it sucks. We also judge people based on their families, their hometowns, their accents, their weight, their athleticism, their haircuts, their clothing, their politics, their religious beliefs, the movies/TV/books/sports they like, their sexual partners, what they order in bars and restaurants, etc., ad infinitum.

On the other hand, it's stupid to idealize the "good old days" where work was work and nobody had unrealistic expectations. Let's face it - that sucked. It sucked for the general population, and it especially sucked for women and minorities. Yeah, the "work shouldn't be hell" POV isn't universal in this world, obviously, far far far from it. But all the more reason for us to be grateful for the opportunities that you do have.

Life is short. Don't fuck it up.

Reactions: Tig
But "finding your passion" isn't the same thing as "pursuing your hobby". It's about finding something that you're good at, excites you, challenges you, and pays the bills. If you're in the mindset that it's lose-lose - "I can have a family OR I can run off and join the circus, and that's it" - then you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment, depression, bitterness, whatever; it seems like you've got a ball of that growing inside you already.

Or you could just get one of those hilariously wacky "You don't have to be dead on the inside to work here. But it helps!" signs for your office wall.

My advice, at least for the immediate future, don't "practice". Just pick it up (or sit down with it, which ever you do) and just play something. Anything. One chord that sounds nice. And play it again. As many times as you like. No self-judgment. Just play whatever simple thing comes into your head/under your fingers. Give the desire to "be accomplished" on guitar a break. I think you'll find that just being happy playing simple enjoyable things will lead you in a better direction and ultimately advance your playing more than grinding away at some practice regimen.
I do this.

Back