K & K Pure Mini pickup

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I know @Kerouac has one of these and some others might as well. Which model do you have? I see the Ultra active with tone and volume controls, a passive one with volume control, and a passive without controls. I want one to put in the Muse Burst which did not come with electronics. If you have the passive, do you use a preamp? I so, which one?

I like it, but over the weekend I played an LR Baggs sound hole pickup that I actually think sounded a bit better, plus it's a self-install!

I have pure minis in two guitars.

Honestly, the best preamp I've found for it is a mic preamp. The Baggs PADI and Ultrasound preamps are too bassy.

There's a weird impedance thing with them -- I forget the details. Don't be afraid to just run it into a mixer and EQ it there. You might like it better.

With both the Pure Mini and the LR Baggs soundhole pickups there are many choices. Any idea which one in each model?

I have K&K's in my acoustic guitar (dreadnought) and in my mandolin. I really like them, and I always receive compliments on the sound when I play through a PA (from experienced, gigging musicians). I don't have any experience with LR Baggs, but I suspect you would be happy with either pickup.

When I bought them, I think they were called the K&K Pure Westerns. They are three sticky piezo pads that attach to the bridgeplate. They are passive and I wanted them that way because I didn't want to attach any more electronics to the guitars than I had to.

I've used a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup, too. It sounds great and I would love it if I had a guitar it could live in full time. The sound wasn't as "acoustic-y" as I wanted but it worked well for fingerpicking. It also means giving up the body sounds. If percussive tapping is part of your thing, that might be a problem. Of course, it might also be a good thing.

I had a PADI because everybody told me they were awesome. It is a good piece of equipment but I didn't like how it matched to the K&K. I ended up rolling the bass all the way off. Then I tried an Ultrasound and it did everything I wanted from the PADI and was simpler.

When I bought them, I think they were called the K&K Pure Westerns. They are three sticky piezo pads that attach to the bridgeplate. They are passive and I wanted them that way because I didn't want to attach any more electronics to the guitars than I had to.

I've used a Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup, too. It sounds great and I would love it if I had a guitar it could live in full time. The sound wasn't as "acoustic-y" as I wanted but it worked well for fingerpicking. It also means giving up the body sounds. If percussive tapping is part of your thing, that might be a problem. Of course, it might also be a good thing.

I had a PADI because everybody told me they were awesome. It is a good piece of equipment but I didn't like how it matched to the K&K. I ended up rolling the bass all the way off. Then I tried an Ultrasound and it did everything I wanted from the PADI and was simpler.
Thanks. That is the cheapest of the three, and I like the idea of keeping it simple as well. I think the soundhole pickup will detract from the look of the guitar, so I will probably order the Pure Mini and get my guitar guy to install it.

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

Might have gotten to this too late, but I have a Pure Mini and love it. I'm not much of a tech guy when it comes to guitars and what not but I was able to install it myself without any problems. It comes with very detailed instructions, there are videos online, and there customer service is pretty great as well.

Back