Pending NGD

Have had plenty of Specials, but never a Junior. I did have a Melody Maker with a HB-sized P90, but it didn't have a tone control. And with only 1 pickup, I want a tone control.

I can pick up this Epi Junior for $50. Guy is out of town for 2 weeks, but hopefully can do this deal on his return. For a US Grant, I don't see how I could go wrong.

01414_eGu0iQvoDxv_600x450.jpg

If it sucks, take it to your nearest Hard Rock site and smash the MoFo.

Haha, no, if I don't like it I can always flip it. I'm sure it'd sell at $75, maybe even $100. Although the humbucker boltneck Epi Specials are quite ubiquitous new for $99, the dogear P-90 versions aren't in production and even when they were, they didn't make nearly as many of those as they did the ones with a humbucker. As a result, these are a bit harder to find. Plus the Junior, at least in its original Gibson version, is traditionally connected with punk rock (Johnny Thunders, Steve Diggle, Mick Jones, etc.), and Gainesville is a punk rock town.

Nice house guitar or just a "I can play out and not worry about dinging some ridiculously expensive guitar". Very nice score!

Yeah, it's so inexpensive I really don't have to worry about it. Unlike the pricier Gibby I don't have to worry about the infamous headstock snap if you look at it wrong. And in fact, in a worst-case scenario I could even replace the neck.

But I very much doubt that that would ever be necessary. I'm not a modder, and though I can be rough on guitars, have never had any catastrophic damage with any of my setnecks, nor with my one neck-through.

Plus, I can see if I get along with the Junior setup of a single bridge pickup, and then maybe someday replace it with a proper Gibby Junior if one falls into my lap at a good price (or a Melody Maker with a P-90 to make a pseudo-Junior) some day.

I used to have this MM, with a GFS HB-sized P-90, but without a tone control I found it a little too limiting, so I almost never gigged it.

8666133398_a1c461d67c_c.jpg

I think with a tone control I would probably get along with a Junior quite well. Here's basically the only time I gigged Melody:

944273_10151581761683879_1858710663_n.jpg

ummm.......as far as Jr.'s being associated with punk rock, i can only say Leslie West :grin:

Although Mr. West is well known among P-90 aficionados, there are a lot more punk rockers known to play Juniors (and occasionally Specials). It was sorta the default guitar for a lot of '70's punk rockers, especially.

Mick Jones, Clash:

85002160-photo-of-mick-jones-and-clash-and-joe-gettyimages.jpg

Steve Diggle, Buzzcocks:

buzzcocks%2Bbandw%2Blive.jpg

Johnny Thunders, NY Dolls/Heartbreakers:

EE1005_Johnny_THUNDERS_P.jpg

And more recently, Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day:

RiP2013_GreenDay_Billie_Joe_Armstrong_0021.jpg

Dr. Frank of Mister T Experience ("MTX"):

frankwjr.jpg

Back