Angry Birds 2: don't waste your time

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
This was supposed to be a return to form for the classic handheld game, after some of the more recent of the numerous spinoffs fell flat.

Well they did improve the look and animation. And it is cool that you can change the order the birds appear before you fling 'em. But there are problems:
  • It's "freemium." Free to download and play, with plenty of opportunities to buy add-on crap, or watch commericals. Some add content is worked into the gameplay which is really insulting.
  • It is randomized. If you re-play a level, it changes. So you have to rethink your strategy.
  • Speaking of strategy, it plays a much smaller role this time around. It's more about brute force and acquiring power-ups.
  • The fans. Those stupid, path-altering fans all over the damned place.
Title says it all: don't waste your time.

Ah freemium. Nothing like having to explain the $10 charge on your phone bill because you bought a gay steel mill for your Springfield in the Simpsons game.

Bowling Weekly gave it a thumbs up.
1d1838944b4381d058c7a5d1d690e696.jpg

Instead of wasting your time on this, go retro and buy old school Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior in the US) and Final Fantasy remasters.

I can’t wait for the freemium model to die. It’s fucking horrible.

Unfortunately, it isn't going to die.

Seems to work well for the younger set. From what I've read, parents are more willing to throw $1.99 repeatedly if a kid asks for it rather than lump sum spend on a title.

Seeing as many of those requests for $.99 - $4.99 from the kids fly under the spend threshold of many parents, nobody tallies up how that purchase will come out to more than the price of a premium game over the course of a month or 2.

The psychology of the freemium title is more important than the actual quality of the product. Give them just enough, then ask for more $$ to give them just a little more.

Evolution of the arcade cabinet, I guess.

Back