What are you practicing this week 8-3-15?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Well, I got the news today that one of the teaching gigs that I was auditioning/interviewing for was cancelled due to budgetary concerns so I'm doing a little bit of reassessing what to work on. Probably modes of the melodic minor scale.

Well it was tunes for a different project which is now indecisive - okay by me. So I will put my energy into working on new tunes for my solo acoustic program. After watching Robert Randolph and Derek Trucks, I am about to work on improving my slide sound and technique.

I have been having some problems with tingling and pain in the little and ring fingers of my left hand, so I have been trying to strengthen them again. It has kind of knocked me off the 12-string for the time and I am trying to concentrate on keeping the little finger held down enough.

I haven't decided just yet though because it is supposed to be cooler this week I plan to get some playing on the amp which I haven't done for a couple of weeks. I'll spend a fair bit of time on the acoustic as well

ok....interview for another gig next week now and the I need to play and improvise over a Charlie Parker tune, Little Wing and teach a lesson on the jazz standard "There Will Never Be Another You". Guess I know what I'm working in this week.

I've been working on some ZZ Top songs. I keep waffling between playing metal or something else, but my playing keeps coming back to hard-charging, Texas-style blues.

Back