jello's Bariatric journal...

I met the surgeon today...REALLY intense dude...I definitely feel like I can trust him with my life...

He was pretty impressed with my weight loss to date...he asked the standard "are you sure you want to proceed with the surgery?" question, and he really liked my answer...

"The surgery isn't about the first hundred pounds, it's about the second..."

Anyway, the releases are signed, the OR is scheduled...I see my primary for the final release next week, but that's just a formality at this point...

It's on...

So...

After work I saw my primary physician for the once and for all final medical clearance for the surgery...a mere formality at this point...

I actually really like him...he's a pretty cool, totally geeky dude who actually gives a shit about his patients...it was his prodding over the years that made me really consider doing this in the first place...I think (actually I know) that he's really proud of me for doing this, and he's impressed with the effort I've put in so far...it's kinda nice to have that kind of cheering section...we exchanged a soul handshake as I was leaving his exam room...

I don't know why, maybe @Gary Blanchard could shed some light on this, but as I was leaving I had all I could do to keep from breaking down...I made it to my car before I just completely lost it...just a complete emotional meltdown...nothing like crying in a parking lot...

Anyways...

Tomorrow marks 2 weeks to surgery, and is also day one of the dreaded final phase of the pre-surgery diet...for the next 14 days my diet will consist of:

Breakfast: protein shake...

Lunch: protein shake

Snack : fruit or low-fat yogurt

Dinner: balanced and sensible...

I've been using protein shakes as a meal replacement for about the last 2 weeks and limiting myself to 1200 or fewer calories...

10 days before surgery I have to drop all NSAIDS and vitamin supplements, taking only Tylenol and necessary meds...

The day before surgery is a clear fluid only day...sugar free gelatin and sugar free ice pops are allowed, which should help some (nothing red)...

I figure imma be a bit grumpy for the next 2 weeks...

...peace...

David, this is a big change with plenty of emotions attached. Not letting some of that out would be my only concern.

David, as Tig said, this is a big moment in your life and you were given some much needed encouragement and credit for your accomplishments. It is deserved and needed and you are probably not used to letting yourself hear those things.

You are doing well and I keep you in my thoughts!

Day one of the full liquid diet has passed and I haven't killed anyone yet, so I got that going for me...

...which is nice...

bf20def876dba0d35cb5c808382f2da65c24b9d0bfaacdaf9b4c65b02765ef3c.jpg

You have been doing a fantastic job so far...is there any way that after these two weeks, if you've lost a significant amount that the doctors may delay the surgery to see if this course of action could be sustained for a while? Just an optimistic thought...

You have been doing a fantastic job so far...is there any way that after these two weeks, if you've lost a significant amount that the doctors may delay the surgery to see if this course of action could be sustained for a while? Just an optimistic thought...
We already had that conversation...when the surgeon saw the weight loss so far he asked if I wanted to go forward and I said yes...

...plus there's no way I could maintain this type of eating pattern for long before it would start causing serious physical damage...starvation mode is OK for a short time but isn't a reliable weight loss strategy...

Back