The Biking Thread

Found some new trails out near Silverdale and Bremerton (aka Bremerville) today. Out at a place called Green Mountain. Started at a place called Wildcat Lake. The trail was pretty cool after I found the main one after being lost trying to find a loop. Lots of very steep ups. Lots of unsustainable partially washed out stuff with lots of rocks and roots. Very old school. But the main trail was less unsustainable and still had some fun rocks and roots. it was all in a temperate rainforest (which is currently very dry due to the PNW drought). So that is nice.

0f09c6fabe5c18491e85ed6e01cfd1d0.jpg

91c02668fa51651bf758e154ca7212bf.jpg

d5c48bd7550cd298746722cd75bef183.jpg

b25ca8d963aaa659e51a2f8857178957.jpg

89a6379002eb46e3249eced986e73981.jpg

What's more fun than biking through the Ewok forest? (AKA Banner Forest park near Port Orchard, WA). Especially when you get to do it with your 15 year old son having fun on his new to him bike!

Loamy, earthy trails with fun roots and rocks and ups and downs, a few little log jumps and etc. Basically felt like just playing like a kid on your bike. Which to me is what mountain biking should mostly feel like. I half expected to see a storm trooper on a 74-Z speeder bike!

1037f24fcc53bfe14c6d2f16fef58ff7.jpg

Some of the natives in the area are a little strange.

Last edited:
I didn't notice this. I love to cycle. I haven't done a whole lot lately but plan on picking up where I left off...
I still cycle,just not as much.....
My bike,that I hated at first while transitioning from my cheapo,(that my girlfriend rides,ha)

Cheapo..

IMG_0914.jpg

I cycle on this...

Img_1490.jpg

b25ca8d963aaa659e51a2f8857178957.jpg

89a6379002eb46e3249eced986e73981.jpg

What's more fun than biking through the Ewok forest? (AKA Banner Forest park near Port Orchard, WA). Especially when you get to do it with your 15 year old son having fun on his new to him bike!

Loamy, earthy trails with fun roots and rocks and ups and downs, a few little log jumps and etc. Basically felt like just playing like a kid on your bike. Which to me is what mountain biking should mostly feel like. I half expected to see a storm trooper on a 74-Z speeder bike!

1037f24fcc53bfe14c6d2f16fef58ff7.jpg

Some of the natives in the area are a little strange.
Beautiful...........Another reason why cycling is so cool..
You don't have to stop to stop and smell..

Last edited:
Nice ride reports, Steve. Your 15 year old is a lucky kid. :cool:
Growing up riding motorcycles and bikes in the woods, I couldn't imagine riding anywhere without them (although I have).

Nice ride reports, Steve. Your 15 year old is a lucky kid. :cool:
Growing up riding motorcycles and bikes in the woods, I couldn't imagine riding anywhere without them (although I have).

Riding in the forests is regenerative to me. Be it an alpine pine forest or a marine temperate rain forest. It is visual for sure, but more than that. The sounds, the smell of the earth, and even the feel of the air seems to center me.

And regarding motorcycling, you moto guys always seem to be skilled mountain bikers and great bike handlers. I was never a moto rider myself, but have tried to learn good handling and braking techniques (or laying off the brakes) from my moto buddies I ride with.

I'm envious of you guys....I'm sidelined this season and we've been having some great weather that I'm missing out on. Lay some miles down for me.

I'm envious of you guys....I'm sidelined this season and we've been having some great weather that I'm missing out on. Lay some miles down for me.

Mojo to you for being sidelined when the weather is great.

On the Wednesday ride I really should have stopped and taken a picture from the top of Skyline, the view was magnificent easily 30 mile visibility up and down (and across) the Bay. But the picture area was on a downhill and I was cruising at about 30 and didn't want to lose the momentum....it had been a fast climb up (for me) and I needed some recovery time

74a6d5b6903095b47f2c138e4db8f371.jpg

My wife has taken up triathlons, so she wanted new bike. There's a bloke up thr road who repurposes slightly vintage bikes, so she decided I wanted one too.

Now all I need to do is find time to ride it.
That pic and the vintage bike makes you look so hipster. You should probably turn it into a single speed fixie. (NOT!) :grin: Looks like a great bike! I love the Dutch Batavus bikes. I really wanted to bring back one of the grandma step throughs for riding around town. But they are too expensive to ship, though I found some used ones cheap while there.

Last edited:
I did 145 last Wednesday as part of my quest to hit as many counties as I can round-trip from home. Most of it was on Route 66. Left at 3 in the morning again.

About six miles of rail trail starting at about mile six, most of it hemmed in by woods. Spooky as shit. Handlebars strained a lot of cobwebs and so did MY FACE.
IMG_8182.JPG
Just before getting off the trail and into Springpiss, IL.
IMG_8186.JPG IMG_8190.JPG
Abe and the state capitol.
IMG_8204.JPG
"Overpass" for a 5.5-mile coal conveyor belt from Viper Mine to a preparation plant.
IMG_8226.JPG
IMG_8240.JPG IMG_8265.JPG
Had to get off 66 at Lawndale because there was construction on 55 and it sent a bunch of people heading for the exit and onto 66, which is now the frontage road. Traffic-wise, this was the worst I've ever experienced. Lot of truck traffic both ways and I had to just pull off and wait several times. Thought I was going to get stuck forever but it let up long enough to get out. Nice short detour in the country, though.
IMG_8278.JPG IMG_8287.JPG IMG_8302.JPG
Atlanta. Small town trying their best to bring in the Route 66 bucks.
IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8316.JPG IMG_8317.JPG IMG_8323.JPG
My dad used to commute 55 miles one-way to the Holland Freight terminal here as a trucker. Sometimes he'd end up right back near home for deliveries and stop for lunch.
View attachment 22565

Part 2 forthcoming. :embarrassed:

Attachments

• IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG
    967.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Makes my 43 miler look kind of pathetic.

But like I said before I can't see being in the saddle that long anyways...my neck and back would never handle it...

Back