Italian Beef sammich: wet or dry?

Italian Beef, wet or dry?

• Total voters
Wet. There's a place in Milwaukee called Martino's that serves a sandwich called the combo. Italian sausage in a roll buried in Italian beef. Pork and beef in one bite. I need a road trip to Milwaukee!

Wet. There's a place in Milwaukee called Martino's that serves a sandwich called the combo. Italian sausage in a roll buried in Italian beef. Pork and beef in one bite. I need a road trip to Milwaukee!
Combos are common here in Chicago. It's a Chicago sandwich just like Italian Beef. Al's on Taylor and Johnnie's in Elmwood Park have the best sandwiches. Portillo's are very good too.

Sorry to go against the "Shih-CAHHHHHHH-go" stereotype, but I DESPISE dipped beef sandwiches. Who wants to eat a soaked, mushy roll? :ack:

Gimme the roll dry; the beef (if it's good) is moist enough, TYVM :mad:
A friend of mine who's originally from NY and lived in Philly awhile says only the meat is supposed to be dunked in the au jus.

How do they do it in Chicago? Dunk the whole sandwich? If so, I don't think I'd care for that either. Wouldn't the bread get sloppy?

A friend of mine who's originally from NY and lived in Philly awhile says only the meat is supposed to be dunked in the au jus.

How do they do it in Chicago? Dunk the whole sandwich? If so, I don't think I'd care for that either. Wouldn't the bread get sloppy?

See my original post.

Moist, has to be moist, but not falling apart.....you have to still be able to eat it like a sammich.

Sorry to go against the "Shih-CAHHHHHHH-go" stereotype, but I DESPISE dipped beef sandwiches. Who wants to eat a soaked, mushy roll? :ack:

Gimme the roll dry; the beef (if it's good) is moist enough, TYVM :mad:
I'm good with that. I don't like them heavily dipped. Just a bit is fine. And just as long as you don't put ketchup on it.

The WHOLE thing. I'm sayin'... :facepalm:

Tell dat gai since he ain't frum shikahgo, dat e's gat no idear dafuk e's sayin'.

Dat gai prolly never even hyad an RC sodi pop. Dafuk duz he know?

That looks pretty tasty. I am going to be in Phila. next week and may have to go to South Philly and get something similar.

No. The only similarity is that both sandwiches have beef on them.
And the au jus that they are dipped in. Seasoning is probably different, but the concept is similar. But then again, the seasoning in my marinara is different than my mothers (I'm a fan of thyme in my sauce and I use enough garlic to decimate all of Transylvania while the closest to thyme my mom comes is the watch she wears) but they're still both marinaras.

So I went back to Ray Ray's for lunch today.

I got the Italian Beef w/giardinieras, dry. The beef had so much juice though, by the time I was about 1/3 of the way thru the sandwich, it was pretty well soaked anyways. I think that's the way I prefer it. I don't want my Italian roll sopping wet :embarrassed:

delicious delicious :)

Onions, cucumbers and hot Italian peppers of some sort. Not the kind that burn your mouth, but they do have a nice heat to them.

Tell dat gai since he ain't frum shikahgo, dat e's gat no idear dafuk e's sayin'.

Dat gai prolly never even hyad an RC sodi pop. Dafuk duz he know?
oh man....i'm dying to re-do that in pittsburghese....but i'm kinda busy right now at work....yinz know an nat.

Reactions: OGG
Back