Dreadnought GAS

See, then I listen to this song and my dread GAS comes roaring back:

Martin D41.

But it's probably a wonderful vintage piece that would sound worlds different from all of the ones you tried. Or at least well-aged. And as you know better than most listeners, there's a far amount of other things that went into making sound good on record. You could have given Jason a low-end shallow bowl Ovation Celebrity and it would have likely sounded almost as awesome.

But it's probably a wonderful vintage piece that would sound worlds different from all of the ones you tried. Or at least well-aged. And as you know better than most listeners, there's a far amount of other things that went into making sound good on record. You could have given Jason a low-end shallow bowl Ovation Celebrity and it would have likely sounded almost as awesome.

Actually, it's a pretty recent D41 Special, which is the D41 without all of the extra bling. But yeah, there's a lot of recording goodness going on there too, but it's definitely a dread sound sound... THE dread sound for me.

I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar over the past couple of years. I have a Martin D-35 and a Collings OM1.

I had been on a complete OM kick for months until I changed the strings in the D and reconnected with it. Big, bold, booming sound and super responsive when played finger style.

Then the other day, I picked up the OM, played a bit and thought it made the D sound like big, wet cardboard. Not as booming, but just as bold and articulate, and with a sound that I can't really explain but just sounds so perfect.

But the OM really doesn't get as "raunchy" sounding as the D when I'm digging in. So they both have a place that either one can't completely occupy by itself.

... so, yeah.

I found the hot 520 sister to my 12 fret for $1500
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...Mahogany-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/
25298_Used_520_1110243052_1.jpg

For me the mini-jumbo has the best of both the dreadnaught and an OM size. Not quite the boom though because the body is thinner than a dread. The mini-jumbo is a lot harder to find though since it is a non-standard size.

For me the mini-jumbo has the best of both the dreadnaught and an OM size. Not quite the boom though because the body is thinner than a dread. The mini-jumbo is a lot harder to find though since it is a non-standard size.

I have a mini-jumbo Seagull, but it's not quite the sound I'm looking for.

I have a mini-jumbo Seagull, but it's not quite the sound I'm looking for.

Everyone has that 'sound'. Of course when I had my mini-jumbo I also split time between strumming and fingerstyle playing and it does both pretty well. I wanted to notes to stand out better like a smaller body guitar, but still have the balls needed for strumming. I like Seagull guitars, but their lower end stuff would not be what I was looking for either. I have heard their upper end guitars are really good, but I have never seen one in a store to try it. I play a dreadnaught now and it works well as a stage guitar, but it is definitely not an inspiring acoustic. I really want a good acoustic again. The cost is keeping me away. Though gems can be found for a budget price on occasion. I had an Alvarez that sounded amazing but looks wise was WAY too busy for me.

Everyone has that 'sound'. Of course when I had my mini-jumbo I also split time between strumming and fingerstyle playing and it does both pretty well. I wanted to notes to stand out better like a smaller body guitar, but still have the balls needed for strumming. I like Seagull guitars, but their lower end stuff would not be what I was looking for either. I have heard their upper end guitars are really good, but I have never seen one in a store to try it. I play a dreadnaught now and it works well as a stage guitar, but it is definitely not an inspiring acoustic. I really want a good acoustic again. The cost is keeping me away. Though gems can be found for a budget price on occasion. I had an Alvarez that sounded amazing but looks wise was WAY too busy for me.

This one was mid-priced... about $700ish. It's a very nice guitar, but a cedar top makes it more compressed and not as balanced. It's a lovely warm sound though.... just not what I want as my main strumming sound. I actually don't even think I've recorded with it more than maybe once. I just play it around the house.

This one was mid-priced... about $700ish. It's a very nice guitar, but a cedar top makes it more compressed and not as balanced. It's a lovely warm sound though.... just not what I want as my main strumming sound. I actually don't even think I've recorded with it more than maybe once. I just play it around the house.

My last custom guitar was a walnut/cedar MJ. I told the builder that it would be used for hard strumming on occasion and he changed up the bracing so that it did not compress much. It was an amazing guitar, but that is pretty much only possible in a custom build.

After way too many close calls and disasters, I have begun using a strap with every guitar in every situation. Better safe than sorry!

My usual are Dunlop Straploks. After years of searching for the proper screws I just chucked the Ovations ones in my drill press and filed to the right size. All is well in Ovation Acoustic land!!!

Can you afford it? If so, you should pull the trigger.

It's a wee-bit cheaper than the Tweedy. I've got about half the cash together, so as long as I can sell off a bit more of my superfluous gear, it might happen. Just have to hope it doesn't sell first.

It's a wee-bit cheaper than the Tweedy. I've got about half the cash together, so as long as I can sell off a bit more of my superfluous gear, it might happen. Just have to hope it doesn't sell first.

Oh, fuck. I'd take that over 5 Tweedys.

That said, Tweedy has earned me back some love after doing such a great production job on the new RT album.

Back