Man cave/studio/practice space is happening

I will def look into that. Might take the place of plywood behind the brick veneer. Heck some builders don't even use plywood behind a brick veneer, just cheap foam sheathing. Then would still have room for stnd fiberglass batts between the studs and standard drywall on the inside.

Or I could use it as drywall in the studio space and use std Sheetrock in the bedroom and bath.
Gonna keep windows few and small. Can always stuff a small window with insulation and hang a picture or rug over it.

image.jpg
Well as plans start to come together everything has gotten bigger of course.
Here's the latest layout.

Where should I plan for my speakers to go? In 2 corners I assume. Need em out of the way but optimumly placed to reduce standing waves, feedback, etc.
Would you put em on the long wall or the short wall? They are powered Mackie 450, 12", on stands.
Should I build in a tiny trap door or something at the baseboard of the contol/voc area to snake cables?
I'm definately gonna insulate that interior wall, and install a boatload of AC outlets.

We should close on the lot today or Monday, and the pool guy will start prob next week. I'm hoping I can work a deal with him to dig the building footing while he has his backhoe on the site, and pour it when he does to pool surround. Got masons lined up, and a guy who will help me frame it.

Get him to dig a full basement foundation.
At night.
So, that no one knows it's there.
Get a floor on it before anyone knows.
Install a secret entrance from above.

Don't do creepy things in there, though.

Seriously, if I were able to get the empty lot next door, I'd do exactly that but there would be a vehicle elevator and a big open space for parking cars.
AND and underground studio space.

I suggest 2"x6" walls. They don't cost much more than a 2x4 but insulating effect is great. Also spend $ on you power needs over build.

Pool is going in Thursday. 15'x30' Fiberglass. 3.5' shallow end 6.5' deep end. About a 2.5' slope over 30' so they will berm and backfill.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Pool arrived. Work is temporarily halted due to rain. They cant set it in the rain cause it might float on em and then theyed have to start over.
Hole is ready
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is rad.

I'll be doing something similar next year if things work out. I'll be watching this thread closely :)

Back