Dreadnought GAS

So I'm having a strong internal debate about getting the Eastman or the Martin Jeff Tweedy 00DB. While the Tweedy is an 00 instead of a Dread, it has the same body depth as a dread, thus the DB model number. This is also the last year they'll be making them, so if I want to snag one, now is probably the time to do it. Downside, it's almost twice what the Eastman costs. Con to the Eastman, I haven't played that exact model, but I've dug every Eastman I've yet to play.

There's also the eternal hope that I can pick up a used Collings in the $2500 range, but that's luck. Anyone have any other thoughts? A D-41 Special would also be an option if found cheap enough, but they hover pretty steadily in the $3800+ range.

Most of the time I'd agree with you. But I'd played a couple of the Tweedy models and I like them. I just have to try really hard not to let my Tweedy fan-boyism being the guiding principle here, you know.

Hey, I've got no problem with sig models, I've owned my share.

My Takamine EAN10C is the best acoustic I've ever owned. It's a dread cutaway with onboard electronics. I got it used for $400. It shouldn't be great, but it is.

Most of the time I'd agree with you. But I'd played a couple of the Tweedy models and I like them. I just have to try really hard not to let my Tweedy fan-boyism being the guiding principle here, you know.
Only way I know is to play both and just go with what hits you best. If you absolutely cannot find the Eastman model you want to play, I it were me, I would have a hard time buying it over something I knew I liked. I suppose one could order one and return it, but that sounds like a hassle to me.

My Takamine EAN10C is the best acoustic I've ever owned. It's a dread cutaway with onboard electronics. I got it used for $400. It shouldn't be great, but it is.

Taks get underrated because of their A/E-ness. But the Japanese models are made by excellent builders using great materials, so them sounding great shouldn't surprise folks. Full page guitar ads and Garth Brooks, Glenn Frey, and Toby Keith signature models haven't helped their reputation. My two "good" acoustics are Tak cutaways and they sound excellent. Wish they had significantly wider necks though.

@Flamencology, you'll be happy to know that I think I've called off the dread search. I spent a couple of hours playing a few of them earlier this week, including some high end Bedell, Cole Clark, and Martin models. Probably the closet one to the sound I liked was an a mahogany Bedell, but my 0-15 sounded much better, just not as big.

@Flamencology, you'll be happy to know that I think I've called off the dread search. I spent a couple of hours playing a few of them earlier this week, including some high end Bedell, Cole Clark, and Martin models. Probably the closet one to the sound I liked was an a mahogany Bedell, but my 0-15 sounded much better, just not as big.

Yes. Thank you.

Buy a dred when you have to compete with a full acoustic band.

Reactions: Tig
Back