How Do You Turn Off Your Brain??Sleep...

I have a strong dislike of people who fall asleep during movies.
Years ago I took my kid to see one of the Star Wars movies. One of the later ones released but I guess timeline wise before the original three. Don't really have any idea what the hell went on. I fell asleep during some fight with someone I can't remember and Darth Vader near a bunch of lava.

I woke up to my son elbowing me to wake up. He said I was snoring and embarrassed him.

Do I get a pass? For the sleeping. I don't deserve a pass for snoring. That was just rude to my fellow theater patrons.

Years ago I took my kid to see one of the Star Wars movies. One of the later ones released but I guess timeline wise before the original three. Don't really have any idea what the hell went on. I fell asleep during some fight with someone I can't remember and Darth Vader near a bunch of lava.

I woke up to my son elbowing me to wake up. He said I was snoring and embarrassed him.

Do I get a pass? For the sleeping. I don't deserve a pass for snoring. That was just rude to my fellow theater patrons.

You get a pass because I have to assume that you were having a nightmare. "Later ones"? "Original three?". Never happened.

I almost always fall asleep at the movie theater.. My girls just used to laugh at me. But once again,I would only fall asleep for a very short while...

I think perhaps I'll try what Smurf suggested

I read.
It makes my brain stop processing the day.

I read books on an iPod touch. That way, when I fall asleep, it falls out of my hand and it goes to sleep as well.
It's smaller than a full-on ereader.
You can make the font large enough to read, but at the expense of having to tap more often to flip pages. Small price.
I adjust the brightness of the screen so that it's not lighting up the room.

Works great for me.

Do you sleep during the day or before bed (naps)? That might have something to do with it if you do. If not you probably need to do something to help decrease the activity in your brain prior to going to sleep. There's lots of good suggestions already. I will have issues falling asleep on occasion but it doesn't have anything to do with getting old. Now that I am not working there is less pressure to try and sleep by a certain time so I've had fewer incidences than when I was working which leads me to think in my case some of it was subconscious work stress. I didnt think I was stressed but the thought of having to do something the next day so I needed to sleep (ie up for an early meeting) caused a feedback effect that would keep me up all night sometimes. Now I just stay up until I'm really tired and fall asleep when I go to bed :grin:

I'm writing a sci-fi book and I play through it like a movie in my imagination. It must be pretty boring because it puts me to sleep really quickly.

Count your breaths. Start over when you get to 10. Focus on your breaths and don't let other thoughts take your train of thought away. Seriously - works for me.

I've tried Melatonin but it does not work for me. Neither does valerium. Definitely unplug at least 30 minutes before bed. Read some. Avoid alcohol.

"And later in the evening
As you lye awake in bed
With the echos of the amplifiers ringing in your head
And you smoke the days last cigarette
Remembering what she said"

"Bob Seger"

Stress. We've all got it, we try not to think about it and for the most part we have no idea what to do about it. Try to identify unresolved conflicts, even minor ones, that may be causing tension and interfering with your sleep. Chemistry is a good thing and can help you avoid fatigue but in the end it's even better to find the source and try to resolve it.

I've found that playing acoustic along with some country-ish/Americana songs piped to the bedroom amp from my phone works wonders.

Back