Line 6. I give up. You've defeated me.

Done.

HD 500 goes on CL tomorrow. Never again.

The gig last night was the stuff of dreams. It was a truly epic and incredible evening. It was the culmination, the realization of all of the sweat, money and toil I have invested in this band. It was everything I envisioned at the beginning.

I had the time of my life. The private home in the Temecula Wine Country that hosted the event was stunning, and nestled amongst lavish, extravagant and beautiful homes and wineries. The views were stunning, the weather was glorious, our hosts were wonderful, the crowd was enthusiastic, the food was to die for...

Spectacular.

It was slightly mired by that gawd forsaken shitbox that I now come to fully despise.

The wild volume discrepencies continue despite an enormous amount of research, fiddling and tinkering. I have exhausted every conceivable avenue short of simply maxing out every single effect and parameter that in any way affects total volume. I could do that, but then it will sound like shit... perfectly volume matched shit.

Before I left for the gig yesterday, I was packed and ready to go with plenty of extra time. I decided to recheck my set list patches for consistency one last time. I ran the output to my JC 55 and gave the amp a good dose of volume for at home levels... between 3 and 4.

To my ears, they all seemed pretty close. Close enough that I could presumably adjust the volume pedal slightly if needed. But, I wanted to be sure.

I had a stroke of genius. Or so I thought.

I ran the outputs to my interface and fired up a DAW with a signal meter. I laid the guitar down flat on the table top, selected the neck pick up, the set my EBOW straddling the G with the blue light directly on the pick up pole and switched it on

My logic was that the steady, constant, high output would be the perfect way to see exactly how much signal was reaching the outputs. In theory, this was pure brilliance.

I spent the next hour scrolling through the parches one by one and meticulously tweaking parameters until each had the same level. Patches that incorporated a drive pedal model that would be toggled on and off during the song were particularly tedious. I save each patch to the computer as I completed them. I then wiped all patches from the device before loading the newly adjusted patches back into the machine.

When I clicked the "Send All" button as I've done hundreds of times without issue, all fucking Hell broke loose. Everything froze, completely. After a few nervous moments, an error message apoeared that I've never seen before and the PC froze once again.

I had to hard shut down (press and hold the power button). When the PC restarted, the Line 6 editor couldn't "find" the HD 500. I tried everything, swapping USB cables and ports... everything. Nothing worked.

The Line 6 Monkey software was able to see it, and it stated that the drivers needed updating. So be it. I updated the drivers and got everything ported over.

Packed it up and split for the gig thinking I had slain the beast.

Wrong.

Worst volume discrepencies ever. My patches were either way way too quiet, ir way way too loud. None of them were even close to the others. I spent both sets fighting with and fiddling with that motherfucker, often at the expense of interrupting my playing, or my vocals, or both.

Unacceptable.

Never had this issue with any other MFX unit. Won't tolerate it any longer from this one. I'll gladly sacrifice some of the Gucci features in favor of hassle free operation.

Fuck you Line 6. I have read countless posts from other frustrated users having the same difficulty and begging for a global volume control via firmware update.

Instead, you gave us a global EQ that gargles donkey balls, and the opportunity to purchase a new model pack full of fucking headaches for just $100.

Fuck you in your stupid fucking meathead face.

Not laughing at your misfortune, but how do you really feel ?rofl

According to the nice people at the line 6 forums, I'm an amateur moron with no knowledge of physics. :)

If physics are like the road runner, you could throw your HD500 off of a cliff and it would just hang there until a little sign popped out that says "Ut Oh..." and then it would fall.

Why don't you try it. :helper:

I managed to finally get my patches to a fairly uniform volume before our gig on Friday. I really had to go deep into the guts of each patch to get there, but they are much better. Unfortunately, they are all too low now. I had to crank the master on the unit at the gig and turn my amp up WAY louder than I am comfortable with considering its age. Presumably, boosting them all up should be fairly easy to accomplish without any headaches.

The Line 6 Forums were not only entirely unhelpful, but extraordinarily dooshie to boot.

The best part about that is, now that I have discovered a working solution, I exited the L6 forums with a "thanks" and an offer to share my solution via PM should anyone be interested. Now my PM box over there is full of requests, mostly from the same assholes...

I have not responded to any of them. I am very unlikely to do so either. Ever. Fuck them all in their stupid fucking meathead faces. MWGL is my home and sanctuary from the asshatery of the interwebs.

I managed to finally get my patches to a fairly uniform volume before our gig on Friday. I really had to go deep into the guts of each patch to get there, but they are much better. Unfortunately, they are all too low now. I had to crank the master on the unit at the gig and turn my amp up WAY louder than I am comfortable with considering its age. Presumably, boosting them all up should be fairly easy to accomplish without any headaches.

The Line 6 Forums were not only entirely unhelpful, but extraordinarily dooshie to boot.

The best part about that is, now that I have discovered a working solution, I exited the L6 forums with a "thanks" and an offer to share my solution via PM should anyone be interested. Now my PM box over there is full of requests, mostly from the same assholes...

I have not responded to any of them. I am very unlikely to do so either. Ever. Fuck them all in their stupid fucking meathead faces. MWGL is my home and sanctuary from the asshatery of the interwebs.
You should respond to all of them with name calling and not telling them your solution.

You should respond to all of them with name calling and not telling them your solution.
As much as I might enjoy that, knowing that there are so many asshats eagerly awaiting an answer to a universal problem that is never going to arrive in their PM box is ultimately more satisfying.

Think you could tell some of us here?

I've got a dust covered HD500 sitting here that I'd like to put back into rotation.

Think you could tell some of us here?

I've got a dust covered HD500 sitting here that I'd like to put back into rotation.
It's sort of a "Subtractive" solution. Easiest way would be to give you a couple of example patches that show the signal chain, mixer levels etc... if you pm me your email address, I'll put a few in my dropbox and send you a link.

Some very basics, sort the chain exactly as you would if you were running pedals into the front of an amp, not the crazy way L6 has it configured. Compression first, amp last. The rest is a balancing act.

Ill_Never_Fall_In_Love_Again-Dionne_Warwick_1970.png

I'm gonna practice this. Several chords I rarely play, bouncy melody, I like it. Apologies and pleas for leniency from the Tangent Po-Po.

Reactions: Tig
I've used my FlyRig RK5 at two gigs now and it is absolutely amazing how good this tiny little pedal sounds. Both times I ran it direct to the mixer and dialed it up in the monitors and mains. Completely usable and versatile.

rk5_main_image.jpg

I've used my FlyRig RK5 at two gigs now and it is absolutely amazing how good this tiny little pedal sounds. Both times I ran it direct to the mixer and dialed it up in the monitors and mains. Completely usable and versatile.

rk5_main_image.jpg
Cool. I will check it out.

I checked back in to the L6 forums a few days ago and saw that several ass clowns had posted mad shit directed at me for having the audacity to ask a question about "Volume while creating a patch" in a thread entitled "Volume while creating a patch". Vicious little mongrels the lot of them.

So I apologized for the intrusion and thanked the few guys who weren't douchebags while very gently and almost subliminally pointed out that there were a few assholes among them.

That was followed by a vicious response from the main offender, and a post from an admin stating that since the OP had his question answered, he was locking the thread.

He also REMOVED ONLY my final reply and left all of the douchebaggery from the other asshats.

Fuck that place.

I sent Mr. Admin a nice fuck you PM and cleared my browser history and removed the bookmark to that cesspool of mouth breathing hermaphrodites.

Not only did the whole experience make me hate the L6 community as a whole, but I will never, ever even consider buying anything from Line 6 OR Yamaha.

Despicable cunts.

rk5_main_image.jpg
I have absolutely no use for that thing, as I already have two GT-8s for gigging.
But I totally want one anyway!!!!!

Reactions: OGG
Back