So I need (read WANT) a new commuter daily driver

335clone

Living the dream
And since I drive 40 miles each way on mostly winding 2 lane roads, I have decided I NEED a BMW M3 E36.

So, not "new" in the traditional sense, but new to me.

Anyone ever own one? I have friends who have a number of BMW's but newer, and they swear by them (and know how to operate the turn signals:wink:) and from what I have read, they were one of the best balanced cars ever built. I'm open to equally affordable and well handling alternatives if anyone has particular suggestions. A 80's 911 would be nice too.

For comparison:

E36 I want
BMW-E36-M3-By-HG-Motorsports-8-1.jpg

E36 I can probably afford

18nanzsxl5gmejpg.jpg

I have 328i that shares the chassis and engine with the early M3...... :baimun:

My wheels are slightly different, but same dark, almost black, color.

customer_car_kyle_d_lg.jpg

How about a used Miata?

Should be good on gas and great on fun.

Good suggestion, though my wife would be convinced I have a girlfriend on the side.

Actually, I prefer just a little more mass around me when I am on mountain roads....just in case.

Alternatives really depend on your budget but I'll tell ya, it's hard to beat a miata for dollars per smile. C5s are plenty and fairly reasonable. AP1 S200s show up at a reasonable price here and there.

Hwy 17?

Miatas are very well balanced cars (some say the best) though I personally would not get one because I'm not keen on convertibles. If you like convertibles I'd say a Miata or maybe an S2000. M3 are nice but not worth the $$ to me but they are nice though I think a regular 3 series would be good enough actually and likely a lot cheaper to buy/drive/insure.

Hwy 17?

Miatas are very well balanced cars (some say the best) though I personally would not get one because I'm not keen on convertibles. If you like convertibles I'd say a Miata or maybe an S2000. M3 are nice but not worth the $$ to me but they are nice though I think a regular 3 series would be good enough actually and likely a lot cheaper to buy/drive/insure.

Hwy 9 to redwood gulch/stevens canyon road.

I used to do Bear Creek to 17, but the hell with that.

Interesting way to go....I'll have to make sure I'm not riding up while you are coming down....just in case :Wave:
It's relaxing, and 5 minutes quicker than 85/17/bear creek. If you draw a line from Mountain View to Boulder Creek, it only makes sense.

I deal with riders on a daily basis. No problems so far. It's only the weekend peloton gangs that cause problems.
If you see a white S-10 scream by, wave with more than one finger so I know it's you:wink:

The one upside to e36 m3s is is the last m3 you dont look like a douche bag driving. :wink:

It is certainly less pretentious than most I see. It's really a track car in civilian trim, not a luxury wanabe. Though I must say my friends E46 is pretty fucking awesome.

This. Not many outside of the racing world were aware of how good these cars were. I would love to have one that is modded for "race".

Beautiful and understated IMO.

They could give an original Z a run for the money. Best autocrosser ever.

Back