Driving from Florida to California soon.

Here's my new route (tenatively. subject to change as I go.)

New Orleans
Nashville
Kansas City
Denver
Salt Lake City
Grand Canyon
Las Vegas
Lake Tahoe

I could also go N.O. - > Oklahoma City -> Denver, but that's longer days but overall shorter trip.

Last edited:
Dude... It would take you two fucking weeks to make that trip. With that itinerary you are driving: 4200 miles.

Yeah, that's .... uh ... I don't know about 4,200 miles, but .... that's a tough itinerary. KC to Denver is a solid day. Denver to SLC is easy enough, but you're not going to the Grand Canyon from SLC without passing through Vegas, unless you want to burn a couple days in central Utah's national parks.

I am going to suggest sticking to your original plan, and just skipping the 'stopping in Texas' part. You need to get past that weather alley ASAP, and then relax.

If you go north / via Denver, I'd just go Denver > SLC > Reno. As posted, your itinerary not only will take you more than a week, it's a bitch, too.

They were all 8 hour trips according to Google maps.

But okay, you convinced me again. I'm 1/4 of the way between N.O. and Austin. Spending the night in Baton Rouge.

Safe travels to you. It's a long drive. When you feel tired, stop, eat, relax and bed down. Just make sure you get some real TX BBQ at least once.

We cheer you on, Kowalski! (reference ....) 8 hours per trip BUT: no breaks, no traffic snarls, no fatigue (4 8-hour days in a row may lead to a wish for a rest day, etc.).

Sincerely wishing you the best on your traverse of Texas.

I'm in Shreveport for lunch break. Gonna go to Wichita Falls and then onto Albuquerque. Not a drop of rain yet but it is cloudy.

Are you able to check your PMs? If so; do. My friend and my wife and I may be out and about this evening, and if we are, we will be literally *immediately* adjacent to the highway at a location you might find extremely interesting (e..g, craft breweries; the two that are 300 yards apart). Glad to buy you a couple of rounds.

Left you my #. I'm easy to pick out of a crowd. In fact, at one of the two places, you could ask for me and they'll point us out.

(Talking Albuquerque; immediately north of "the I," which is where I-40 and I-25 cross.)

Ha. I don't think I've ever seen that episode, or maybe it was one of the newer ones. I ate at a BBQ place in Wichita Falls. So I can say I've eaten BBQ in Texas at least.

Sign spotted by the highway in the middle of Texas today, in a little obscure blip of a town that looks like you could shoot a horror movie in:

"Do not pick up hitchhikers in this area."

Okay! Don't have to tell me twice.

Are you able to check your PMs? If so; do. My friend and my wife and I may be out and about this evening, and if we are, we will be literally *immediately* adjacent to the highway at a location you might find extremely interesting (e..g, craft breweries; the two that are 300 yards apart). Glad to buy you a couple of rounds.

Left you my #. I'm easy to pick out of a crowd. In fact, at one of the two places, you could ask for me and they'll point us out.

(Talking Albuquerque; immediately north of "the I," which is where I-40 and I-25 cross.)

Sent you a PM back. I'll be in Albuquerque sometime tomorrow, but not sure when.

Ha. I don't think I've ever seen that episode, or maybe it was one of the newer ones. I ate at a BBQ place in Wichita Falls. So I can say I've eaten BBQ in Texas at least.

Sign spotted by the highway in the middle of Texas today, in a little obscure blip of a town that looks like you could shoot a horror movie in:

"Do not pick up hitchhikers in this area."

Okay! Don't have to tell me twice.

Nothing but steers 'n prisons.

Got a flat tire in flagstaff that was unrepairable. Being Sunday, no tire places open but Sams. So I had to join Sams for $50 to get my $100 tire. No big deal, I'm just happy someone was open. Typing from my phone, will report more later on Albuquerque. Really cool city.

Glad you enjoyed. Yes, it is a cool town. Don't tell anyone in California, please.

Sorry for the slow reply. Been busy.

Too bad we couldn't meet up! I didn't get there until later afternoon. I actually checked out a few places you mentioned. I went to that one brewery (forgetting the name) and had a couple of beers. I had an "Indian taco" with green chile that was delicious. I wasn't there terribly long so I didn't really get a chance to feel the city out that much, but I definitely loved the look of Albuquerque and the way it's laid out. Seems very easy to drive and navigate, has lots of interesting looking establishments from the outside.

I still need to try some of your California picks. I wish that pot pie place was closer, ha. Ended up staying at the Venetian in Vegas. Ridiculous 700 sqft room was only $100 for the night. Great hotel. I ate at Mario Batali's restaurant there. It was nothing to rave about really for the price. I looked at Bouchon, but it's the same Bouchon menu as the one in Yountville that I've been to, and I wanted to try something different.

On my first evening as I drove into California from Lake Tahoe (which is also a ridiculously wonderful place,) I stopped in Sonoma for a few hours. It just so happened on Tuesday night was a big farmer's market thing with food trucks, so that was cool.

All told I drove around 3100-3200 miles.

Welcome to Cali! When you feel like driving again, do the PCH in bits. It is incredible. Also ..you will be amazed at how cheap food is there in supermarkets.. FL food prices are killing me not in a good way.

Hey now! Glad your trip was a success! LOL @ the Venetian - honestly, most things on the Strip in Vegas are nowhere near worth the price -- except the lodging, as you noted. Glad you enjoyed your brief time in ABQ. It's quite possible we were at the Canteen at the same time, if that's the one you went to (large metal garage doors opening from the inside to the patio area, industrial neighborhood). Yeah, I love Albuquerque, but it looks like shit from the highway and most people understandably drive right on by. What's remarkable is that once you drive some of the 'hoods, the nature is gorgeous. Who'd have thunk it, as Bugs would say.

I had to fly out Sunday to see a sick parent so no worries - just glad you enjoyed yourself.

Enjoy California, and really, please tell people there that Albuquerque sucks.

Back