Personal Driving Record (s) PDR

Useless without serious drugs
My first car was a '78 Honda Civic Wagon with a four-speed manual. That is how I learned to drive a manual tranny. My current car is a 2006 Honda Civic with a manual transmission. I bought it for two reasons: I like manuals and my wife does not know how to drive them.

I do. Well, I like to think.

In 1999 I was working the Willow Fire in the San Bernardino mountains. It came down into Apple Valley (where I lived at the time and was a Paid-Call firefighter) on a Sunday afternoon, and after driving home from Willow Springs Raceway (I worked as a medic for an ambulance company in Ridgecrest that had the EMS contract there-saw some great cars and racing), I was put on the line. The last AVFD engine was an old CDF Model Five brush engine we bought from Alhambra fire back in the day. It was a four-speed manual with the synchro shot to crap.

A few days into the fire the engine had a name: the "Little Engine" ( All we had to do was listen to the command traffic to know our next assignment: "Yeah, uh, Division ZZ, we have a smoke in the perimeter and it is kinda rough out there...Where is the "Little Engine"?)

It was a billy goat but slow as heck.

The third day in we in our Branch were re-assigned, Code 3, to Snow Valley Ski area. My engine and strike team were last to leave Lucerne Valley Park and head up the Cushenberry Grade (the "Back Way" to Big Bear and the mountain communities. As my rig was the slowest we led the strike team up the hill, 37 miles on mountain roads.

I got up the hill without braking once. I got past the Big Bear Dam without braking and even passed the first strike team to leave Lucerne Valley. I hit the brakes for the first time pulling into Snow Valley Ski area.

My captain gave me glowing praise for not making him grab the "Oh Shit" bar once and for getting us up there quickly.

My glowing moment as a professional driver.

I live in the Temecula area now and work in Gardena. I take the 91 but lately I have been diverting to the 5 south to Ortega Highway ( I call it "The Hump") and over to Elsinore. It is a few miles further but the drive is better and funner.

I tried, for weeks to go up the OC side and down the IE side without using the brakes. It took awhile for familiarization but I have finally done it! Twice! The IE side is tougher as it is steeper but it is manageable!

Average speed is about 35-45 on the down side and 40-50 on the up side. I go with the normal traffic flow and am usually faster than those that must use brakes.

My moment as a driver.

Let me hear yours....

first car '68 Fairlane GT, 302 4 bbl, 4 speed
then '72 240Z
then in the USAF: '72 Challenger 340, '71 MGB, '70 GTO, '71 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ
all before 24 years old.

first car '68 Fairlane GT, 302 4 bbl, 4 speed
then '72 240Z
then in the USAF: '72 Challenger 340, '71 MGB, '70 GTO, '71 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ
all before 24 years old.

You like Detroit iron. So do I but those cars were too expensive to run.

Actually what I was looking for is "accomplishments" that you have done while driving. My best, to me, were not using brakes on a fire engine to get up to the ski area while driving mountain roads, then besting the accomplishment by going up and down the hump without using the brakes.

I wanna hear that.

Well, as far as driving "feats", a few stand out in my mind, most of them extremely stupid, and extremely dangerous.

I've driven in Chicago for 25 years without murdering another driver in response to their outrageous driving. idn_smilie

I grew up in LA county and drove in the region for years but I left for the Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties) 25 years ago. Until 2013 I spent all of my time working and driving in the IE or in the desert communities.

When I had to retire from the FD I got a job with the family biz in LA. After only driving 2 years in this area I think your accomplishment is, indeed, a good one.

I like this one! Nothing like a high speed accomplishment! It would be better if it was in a Yugo.

no....that was "accomplished" in the Torino Cobra. and it was not in a place or time that there were any other vehicle about. the sign was our "get on the brakes" marker. the sign was installed WAY too far ahead of where it should have been set. typical speed trap b.s. it went from 55 to 35 instantly.

164 MPH indicated (likely closer to 155) on my Honda CBR 600 F2 on a deserted 2 lane road that looked like it was just a few feet wide at that speed. :eek:

Not rolling a brand new Pierce Dash pumper when avoiding a tow truck that ran a red light on the way to an MVA. :mad:

Successfully getting to home plate with a girl in the passenger seat of a Porsche 914 in high school. I was more flexible as a yout. :quag:

First car '73 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six that was indestructible..seriously...got clipped by a semi and spun out in the rain at 70mph crashing into a guardrail. Sold the engine to cover the towing costs (car was totalled)

Driving was a 3 day racing class at Laguna Seca :thu:.
Street driving was a trip from Ottawa to Montreal (~120miles) in slightly over 60 minutes
like 2112 I drive manual trannies only now and the goal when I worked in Santa Cruz was to drive the entire hwy 17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz without braking. At times my car pool buddies offered to pay for my brakes if I would please just use them o_O

164 MPH indicated (likely closer to 155) on my Honda CBR 600 F2 on a deserted 2 lane road that looked like it was just a few feet wide at that speed. :eek:

Not rolling a brand new Pierce Dash pumper when avoiding a tow truck that ran a red light on the way to an MVA. :mad:

Successfully getting to home plate with a girl in the passenger seat of a Porsche 914 in high school. I was more flexible as a yout. :quag:

Been there done that in a fully-loaded 1500 gallon water tender (code 3) and a fairly new Seagrave Type I. My experience in the high desert of San Bernardino county led me to this conclusion when driving code 3: Avoid, at all costs, elderly drivers in white sedans.

Reactions: Tig
First car '73 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six that was indestructible..seriously...got clipped by a semi and spun out in the rain at 70mph crashing into a guardrail. Sold the engine to cover the towing costs (car was totalled)

Driving was a 3 day racing class at Laguna Seca :thu:.
Street driving was a trip from Ottawa to Montreal (~120miles) in slightly over 60 minutes
like 2112 I drive manual trannies only now and the goal when I worked in Santa Cruz was to drive the entire hwy 17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz without braking. At times my car pool buddies offered to pay for my brakes if I would please just use them o_O

Lol, Isn't that what the engine is for?

Unfortunately, I am not so experienced in driving autos and it showed one time when I was assigned as a Line EMT on a fire near Idlywild, Ca. We were coming off the mountain on a dirt road and while I was in a Ford Exploder command vehicle I was behind a strike team of brush engines. The road was steep and by the time I had reached the bottom I had boiled the brakes.

I never thought to manually downshift into a lower gear. thwap0

I've always been fairly sensible when driving.

However, as a teenager, I climbed from the cab of a truck to the bed, bed surfed, and climbed back into the cab, at night, on the WV Turnpike, doing roughly 90 mph.

It's a wonder I survived my teenage years.

10 laps around a half mile oval was fun.

So was 161mph in a Z06.

But my greatest feat is probably surviving 450k miles of interstate driving since I've been living 50 miles away from my workplace.

Reactions: Tig
10 laps around a half mile oval was fun.

So was 161mph in a Z06.

But my greatest feat is probably surviving 450k miles of interstate driving since I've been living 50 miles away from my workplace.

This in itself is quite a feat. I moved away from the LA area in 1990 (I grew up in LA County) for the High Desert of San Bernardino County and then in 2003 to the Temecula Valley. I commuted a lot to work when I worked for Target, and then with an ambulance company in the Joshua Tree/29 Palms area. While with the fire department in Apple Valley and living where I do now, I had a 90 mile one-way door to door but it was on the 15. No sweat.

I now drive 75 miles to work in Gardena and most of that is on the 91. I don't remember LA drivers being such assholes and so incompetent. I feel fortunate that in the two plus years I have been driving that route that I have not had an accident.

Yet.

OOO I thought of one!

In 1989 I drove straight home alone, from Miami Fl. to Houston, in one day. Plus I had been trippin' ballz the night before at a Grateful Dead concert (my last one ever) and I was coming down with a cold, so I was all hopped up on Sudafed.

Last edited:
Driving from Toronto to Los Angeles straight through in 45 hours.

I did it in a 82 Peterbilt 359 with a load of furniture and kitchen cabinets.

I was 14.

I didn't have the best father

Back