Shawshank prison trip. Let me show it to you

Alex W

Pork and Beans connoisseur
We live about a half mile from the old Ohio State Reformatory. I drive by it every morning on my way to work but the only times I have been in it were for the haunted house they host in October. We were bored so we decided to drive over and take a tour of the place. For anyone that doesn't know, it was the prison where they filmed the Shawshank Redemption, Air Force One, and a handful of music videos (Lil' Wayne and Godsmack come to mind).

Here's the front where the entrance to the warden's living quarters was.

IMAG0087.jpg

One of the cell blocks from the outside

IMAG0088.jpg

This picture was of the women's living quarters. The light shines in from either side to make a white x on the floor in the hallway which I found sorta creepy.

IMAG0040.jpg

Another from the women's living quarters. The woodwork was still in relatively good condition but the rest of the rooms are very deteriorated.

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

Here are a couple pics from the room they used when Red was released.

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Here are a couple from the chapel. It held all 1900 inmates every Sunday. The inmates were originally left alone in here and then they caught three of them trying to escape by removing bricks from behind a book case. In the back of the chapel were two tiny solitary rooms. I'm guessing they were for the more dangerous inmates.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

This is 3 rows up in the Eastern cell block

IMAG0057.jpg

This is looking down the back of the Eastern cell block about 3 rows up.

IMAG0063.jpg

The prison library

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

One side of the western cell block

IMAG0070.jpg

Staircases at either end of the cell blocks

IMAG0071.jpg

Reactions: Tig
All the solitary cells were in the basement. They were actually larger than the double cells in the cell block.

IMAG0077.jpg

One of the smaller solitary cells

IMAG0078.jpg

This is just a regular cell on the ground floor of the western cell block. This cell block looked nicer than the rest so I'm assuming that this was one of the last ones to close. This place shut down in 1984 which is crazy to me.

IMAG0072.jpg

Looking up

IMAG0074.jpg

The central guard room. This is still used today for weddings and parties. It's probably the only part of the prison that's almost 100% restored

IMAG0083.jpg

Honestly I have no idea what this room is. A guy in front of me unlocked a door and I just followed him in. I don't think we were supposed to be in here

IMAG0084.jpg

A replica of old sparky.

IMAG0086.jpg

There was a ton more I didn't get because my phone died. All in all it wasn't a bad way to kill a few hours on a Sunday.

Not my photo, but here is the original prison in all it's glory. IIRC it's modeled after a French castle. The thought behind it was that if they could surround inmates in culture and beauty they would be easier to reform.

ohio-state-reformatory-used-in-the-shawshank-redemption-12773.jpg

All I can say is WOW......

What a cool fucking place and great shots...

Man,I love stuff like this...What a beautiful complex....

Cool pics.

I've driven past it a couple of times, I didn't know you could tour it.

I wonder why they don't still use it? It's not like Ohio doesn't have any more inmates :embarrassed:

Very cool. If any of you get out to the the Bay area, a tour of Alcatraz is a must.

A prison wedding? Actually that sounds about right.

The Preacher asked her, she said I do
The Preacher asked me, she said he does to
The Preacher said, I pronounce you 99 to life
She's no lady, she's my Wife

"Lyle Lovett"

Back