jello's Bariatric journal...

Sorry to hear that, but your reasons (aside from the insurance clusterf%&k) are the right ones. Dress rehearsal for the real thing - plus caring for your Mom which is hugely important. Stick with the program - you got this!!

jelloman_zpsmtsouzae.jpg
+1

Hi there...:Wave:

Just a quick progress report...

Today I tipped the scale at 384.4 pounds, down from my starting point of 403 1/2...

...not too shabby...

I just tried my first protein smoothie...broke out the new Cuisinart shake blender, broke the seal on a can of GNC AMP whey protein ADVANCED (vanilla ice cream flavor), threw in one cup of 1% milk, a scoop of powder, a half dozen frozen strawberries, and a dash of Splenda and hit the button...not bad, not bad at all...and it actually filled me up pretty well...

It's still 2 weeks before I see anybody at the doctors or hospital, so dieting and maintaining a positive outlook are the things I'm concentrating on...

Onward...

Hi there...:Wave:

Just a quick progress report...

Today I tipped the scale at 384.4 pounds, down from my starting point of 403 1/2...

...not too shabby...

I just tried my first protein smoothie...broke out the new Cuisinart shake blender, broke the seal on a can of GNC AMP whey protein ADVANCED (vanilla ice cream flavor), threw in one cup of 1% milk, a scoop of powder, a half dozen frozen strawberries, and a dash of Splenda and hit the button...not bad, not bad at all...and it actually filled me up pretty well...

It's still 2 weeks before I see anybody at the doctors or hospital, so dieting and maintaining a positive outlook are the things I'm concentrating on...

Onward...
Good stuff, David; keep it up!

Looks like solid progress already congrats.

I drink the Cytomax whey protein (from Costco) after a workout. I used to drink it at work so just water. The chocolate was pretty tasty even with water (the vanilla not so much). With milk it's even better.

19 lbs. is a great start. The more you lose before surgery, the easier it goes. I like Unjury protein, good flavors.

19 lbs. is a great start. The more you lose before surgery, the easier it goes. I like Unjury protein, good flavors.
The hospital is recommending Unjury for the post-op period, along with EAS...I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that yet...

Sunday, May 24...it's been a week of dietary struggles...

MyFitnessPal has me on a 2200 calorie limit, with my own personal goal to stay below a 2000 calorie average...I never broke the 2200 limit, but did pass my personal goal a few times...more than that I broke the limits on fats, sodium, and sugar carbs multiple times...it's hard to balance all of those numbers...

So, it was with a certain level of trepidation that I stepped on the scale this morning and saw...

What? Really? Better check again...

Ok, one more time...

Holy shit! That's almost 6 pounds...how the hell did that happen?

On top of that, it's a 25 pound total from my high point of 403 and change...I met the 5% challenge and still have over 2 months to go!

In other news...Mom meets the surgical team from St. Lukes-Mt. Sinai hospital this friday to set her heart surgery...we're hoping there won't be too much of a delay...wait and see...

Sunday, May 24...it's been a week of dietary struggles...

MyFitnessPal has me on a 2200 calorie limit, with my own personal goal to stay below a 2000 calorie average...I never broke the 2200 limit, but did pass my personal goal a few times...more than that I broke the limits on fats, sodium, and sugar carbs multiple times...it's hard to balance all of those numbers...

Balancing protein/fat/sugar/sodium/vitamins and all the rest is important to long term health, but for weight loss, almost everything boils down to calories in vs. energy out. Not too long ago a science professors demonstrated this with the "Twinkie Diet", wherein he just ate Twinkies to fill his caloric requirement, and still lost weight.

The reason you should eat protein, whole grain, and fiber (aside from the health benefits; I'm just talking weight loss) is that is makes you feel more full, for longer, and so it's easier to eat less. But if you just eat spoonfuls of butter and sugar up to your target weight-loss calories, you'll still lose weight. You'll feel hungry a lot, but you'll lose.

So, anyways...

Disappointing weigh-in this week...I stayed below a 2000 calorie average and weighed in at 378.4 for a loss of a whopping .2 pounds...plateaus suck...

I had a follow-up with the cardiologist last night to find out why she hadn't cleared me for surgery... turns out I may have a minor heart defect, something something aneurysm... apparently not serious, and shouldn't affect the surgery, but needs another test scheduled for Friday...

And in other news Mom's heart valve replacement is set for this coming Monday...

Peace...

Sorry for the delay... hopefully your next screening gives you the all clear!
I think it will...

I asked her what happens if the test shows the defect and she replied "Nothing. We just need to confirm it's existence."

...doctors...:rolleyes:

Back